Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
working with Fifth Grader

We finished most of level E last year (fourth grade) but in order to "finish", we skipped the last 22 lessons or so on geometry. (lessons 98-120)

So this year, I intended to do those Level E geometry lessons, Challenge Math, and the new Right Start Geometry book. I figured 2 weeks Right Start, 2 weeks Challenge Math, repeat...

But in the first two weeks, (we start mid August), I noticed that my 10 year old really wasn't enjoying her math. It seemed that she'd forgotten all the ideas about how to multiply and divide. Even short division problems were prone to errors. Trying to stick to the schedule (probably mistake #1), I plodded on through the geometry lessons and after a couple of warm up multivedes (are they really supposed to take 30 minutes?) she seemed to remember how to multiply and divide.

Then we started Challenge Math, which is really sort of a combination of physics and math with huge numbers. She can figure out the most amazing problems. It's giving her much more confidence and she loves that math for the first time since we started Right Start and she loved the manipulatives and games. She can calculate how many light years away Jupiter is and tell you if someone standing on earth looked at a clock on Jupiter and then looked at a clock on earth, what time each different clock would say.

So I'm starting to guess that Katherine understands the math concepts but is bored and careless. Tomorrow we are supposed to start back with RS to crank through the geometry stuff.

But I'm really tempted to keep up the "I love math" idea and shelve the geometry for a bit. Maybe use more advanced Math Games from the RS games book and half a multivede per day if I don't think the games are enough.

or take the Challenge Math, modify the problems to be reasonable numbers and make her do them without the calculator.

What do you guys think?

Rachael Barlow

Re: working with Fifth Grader

Dear Rachael,

Thank you for your post. I think you know best what is best for your child. If she is loving math as she works through Challenge Math, this is fantastic. I think your idea of working through Challenge Math and playing the math card games is a very good idea at this point. How old is your child? This can also make a difference in your decision to continue with Challenge Math or move into the RightStart Intermediate Math.

What to do after Level E is a continuing question as Dr. Cotter continues to write and develop the Intermediate (middle school curriculum), so reading what you are looking to do with your child is all part of the many different plans that can work for children.

As you well know, the beauty of homeschooling is that you are better able to meet the needs of your child where your child is at.

Keep us posted on how things are going for you and your child in the area of math.

Sincerely, Rosine