Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Teaching a toddler to count

My little one (age two) is learning to count. She is simply reciting the numbers by rote, and she is beginning to count objects with one-to-one coorespondence. I plan on using Right Start in a few years when we begin more formal math with her. Is there a way I should teach her to count past ten that you recommend? She likes to watch Seasame Street and they use the "-teens" (along with most everyone else). What are the opinions on learning to count.

Thanks!
Pam

Re: Teaching a toddler to count

Dear Pam,

Thank you for posting your question. I would like to invite you to read the article written by Dr. Cotter entitled "Math and the Young Child". You can view this at

http://www.alabacus.com/pageView.cfm?pageID=314

This is an excellent article. I have heard many parents say they have used this article as their preschool program. I would also like to recommend you consider purchasing the math card game book and read through the numeration section of that book for ideas of how to present math concepts to the beginning math student. As far as "counting" numbers beyond ten, you may have her say ten 1, ten 2, ten 3 etc. This sets in her mind the idea of place value. I would also recommend you consider purchasing an abacus where you can talk about and introduce quantity recognition. Children do like to count. They like the rhythm of counting. So, for that reason it's just fine for her to do this for fun. However, when you are thinking of introducing math concepts, please do read through the materials I've suggested to help your child get a head start in understanding numbers.

I hope this helps. Do feel free to email, call or post with any other questions you might have.

Sincerely, Rosine

Re: Re: Teaching a toddler to count

Rosine,

Thank you so much for your reply. The PDF was wonderful - lots of great information there I can work right into our preschool "curriculum" right now. I do have one more question. You mentioned getting the games book and looking at the numeration games. Do we need the card set to play those games? Thanks so much for all of your help.

Pam

Yes, the basic (green) card deck.

Hi Pamela,

You're welcome. Yes, you will need an abacus and the basic number cards, which is the green deck. You may also want to purchase the place value cards as well. Other than that you're set to go. Let me know what you plan to do and how it works out for you as well.

Sincerely,
Rosine