Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Does RS teach the Time Table?

Hi Mavis,

You're most welcome. Level C is 2nd grade for the RightStart student and for students in a more traditional curriculum it covers quite a few topics in grade 3. What you will notice with RightStart is that it teaches whole concepts and has children working with numbers in the thousands very early so they can see the patterns of math. With this in mind they explore all the different concepts around adding numbers, then move to multiplication, subtraction and division. The sequence is different than a traditional curriculum, therefore it is hard to compare curriculums or different styles of how to teach math.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

Sincerely, Rosine

Re: Does RS teach the Time Table?

Hi Rosine,
i'm now at lesson 21 of level A with my 4yr old. he seems to have trouble understanding counting backwards... any clue how i can make it easier for him? i tried using the abacus but he didn't get it. Should i draw like a number line with the numbers so he can visualize what comes before or after? Thanks!

Continue to use the abacus.

Hi Mavis,

I would recommend that you continue to use the abacus because using the abacus will continue to help your child "see" the quantities. Also, know that going backwards is a harder concept to do for the young child. 4 years old is very young for even Level A. And counting backwards is even harder. So, if he can do it with the abacus this is really good. Also, connect walking backwards with saying the numbers backwards. Do this with steps. As in walk 10 steps forward and then walk 10 steps backwards. Possibly tape 10 circles on the floor and have him walk forward from 1 to 10, then turn around and walk back to one saying the numbers as he walks back, which will be in decreasing order. I'd recommend that you put under the number symbol and drawing of a string on the abacus representing the number(quantity). This way he will again connect the symbol and quantity of numbers.

Let me know what you think of this. In some ways this is a modified version of your number line idea, however he will be physically walking the number line and using the abacus, because the number line in and of itself does not show quantity, it is only good for counting.

I hope this helps in some way. Keep me posted.

Sincerely, Rosine

Re: Continue to use the abacus.

Rosine,
Could you elaborate more on the string/abacus idea? I am doing RS A with my daughter and she could benefit from this idea.

Thank you,
Rachel

Re: Does RS teach the Time Table?

Hi Rosine,
thanks for your constructive advice n fun suggestions. I'm eager to try him out next week. Will keep u posted on his development!

Many thanks : )