Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Math Card Games

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for responding for Rosine.

I would like to follow up with this,

1. Will learning his math facts with memory tricks work against ds in RS (should I sell Math-it)?

2. Will the year my son has spent learning to find answers by counting be a real hinderance to him in RS level B next year? -Do you find it a welcome relief to most second graders new to the program or confusing to teach a new way of thinking?

Thanks, Wendy

Re: Re: Math Card Games

Dear Wendy,

As Kathleen said, the math card games teach for understanding and using strategies to solve problems, not tricks or rote memorization. Learning strategies gives a child a life long way to solve problems and to remember them, learning by rote can be easily forgotten if not continually drilled. The reason for this is when learning by rote often there's no understanding the "why's" behind the answer. When a child or adult understand the "why's" then they are able to solve a problem even if for instance they forget what 8 x 6 is.

What I would like to recommend you consider is to purchase Level B now and slowly start using it this summer. Since you plan to do math anyway, why not go ahead and start in on RightStart right away? Work at your child's pace and even a bit more relaxed since it's summer. If you have any questions along the way all you have to do is give us a call on the 888 number or post your questions here or email us directly.

Thanks for looking to give your child a RightStart in math.

Sincerely, Rosine