Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: trading with base-10 cards

Yes, kiddie-corner is the way you can count the odd numbers by 2. The reason you don't want to move the "odd" card to the top is that you want to mimic what the back of the abacus will look like when adding 4 digit numbers.

I have found that my son did the counting by twos of odd numbers easily and I never really had to show him how.

I hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

Sincerely,
Rosine

Re: Re: trading with base-10 cards

Thank you for your answer, Rosine.

I want to make sure I understand you correctly. I should still count: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 (going diagonally up if necessary due to an odd number)
NOT: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and then add 1 card for 10

Also-- When showing an odd number of ones, tens, hundreds, or thousands on the back of the abacus, should more beads always be shown on the left side of the "column" rather than on the right side?

I appreciate your help,
Lori

Re: Re: Re: trading with base-10 cards

Either way is correct, just so the odd numbered bead/card is at the bottom.

As far as what side as in left or right, that is totally preference. I do prefer to have the odd one on the left due to the fact that we read from left to right. However, either way is correct.

You're welcome, I'm more than happy to answer any of your questions. Thanks for asking. :)

Sincerely, Rosine