Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
RightStart it is. :)

Dear Lisa,

Thank you for posting on the RightStart Board. I would also encourage you to post this question on the RightStart yahoo board where many more homeschool families will also address your questions. You can link onto this board through this website by clicking under forums.

Over the years I have seen a dramatic increase in the purchasing of RightStart Math for children with special needs and most especially for children with dyslexia. A few years ago when I was working the Colorado Homeschool convention a woman who heads a support group for families of children with dyslexia came over and said out of all the curriculums she used with her own children with dyslexia, RightStart is the only one that has worked for her children. RightStart is the 5th curriculum she used. When I saw her the following year she stated the same thing and also stated that many of the families she works with are now using RightStart. This woman is based out of Canada.

For children with ADHD the nice thing is that there are a variety of activities to do to teach concepts. As you well know this is nice for the child who's attention span is limited. And, yes, this curriculum is low on worksheets and high on games. Also good for a child who does not like or appreciate worksheets. We believe that games are to math as books are to reading.

Besides the two stated reasons above another thing nice about RightStart related to children with special needs is that RightStart is very direct in it's approach of the teaching of concepts and also in the naming of math terms. For example, an equation is always called an equation, not a number sentence. What may seem minor or an attempt to link math concepts to a familiar topic like number sentence or fact houses/families etc. only adds more frustration for a child who already has a lot in his/her mind. These added terms are more information than the special needs child can handle or needs to handle and is more information than the gifted child wants to hear.

I hope this begins to answer your questions. Please feel free to email, post or call with any other questions you may have.

Thanks for looking to give your child a RightStart in math.

Sincerely,
Rosine

Re: RightStart it is. :)

Yes...it looks like it *will* be RightStart! Thank you for sharing the things you felt would be most helpful as I make my decision. You definitely addressed the majority of my concerns. I will be heading over to find the yahoo group as well.

Dh and I have talked about this at length, and we really feel that RightStart will be the best program for our son. Thanks again. You've been most helpful!

Lisa