Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Place Value: Yes, play the math card games.

Hi Crystal. Please forgive me for not getting to this post earlier. Thank you for reposting. This post came when I was at a convention and must have slipped by when I was checking through emails and posts upon my return. So, good you posted again. Also know for future reference, you may call our customer service line at 888-272-3291 and talk to any customer service person or ask to leave a message for me to call you.

From reading over your post I believe I'm reading a bit of a summation of my last post to you. You are correct in reading what I wrote as saying to take a slower pace and play the math card games. Always have an abacus available for your child. At this age asking if a child can add mentally is good, but certainly not necessary as she develops her understanding of math.

I'm confused about your question regarding "Do you do anything with place value?" Yes, the place value cards are a big piece in teaching place value. RightStart teaches place value from left to right because that is how we read numbers. If you are asking does RightStart teach place value the way many of us were taught in school, from right to left, than no, RightStart does not teach it that way. The main reason is to teach place value from right to left and then ask a child to read a number from left to right is actually quite confusing for the young child and is often why there are so many 5th and 6th grade students who have difficulties with place value.

The tapping of the place value cards sets in for the child the place value of a number. Ex: 100 as one-hun-dred tells a child that the hundred's place takes up three places. 20 as 2 ten tells a child the tens takes up two places, and 3 with one tap shows that the ones place takes only one place. As you have mentioned, I do believe that yes, with age these concepts will come along just fine.

As far as worksheets. At this young age you really don't need any more worksheets because, again we believe that playing the math card games are the best drill and review. The numeration section of the game book is good for helping a child understand place value. However, if you have a child who likes worksheets than I recommend that you consider purchasing the book titled Worksheets for the AL abacus.

This curriculum is taught for understanding using the AL abacus and math card games. Concepts build on each other so there is not an excessive amount of review from one level to the next. Mastery is found by playing the math card games.

I am more than happy to answer any of your questions. Don't hesitate to continue to ask them. Again feel free to email, post or call.

You may also appreciate posting your questions on the yahoo RightStart board which you can connect to through this website under forums. There are many homeschool families who share their thoughts and ideas on that site.

Sincerely, Rosine

Re: Place Value: Yes, play the math card games.

Thank you again for your reply. This helps a great deal. You answered my question about the place value (using the traditional school way of right to left). I see how it would cause confusion but my daughter was confused as to which place each number represented. She couldn't understand that 21 or two-ten one actually meant two tens and one one because she had no idea that the one represented ones. Anyhow, thank you for your help and we will keep plugging along. She does enjoy the math a great deal.
Crystal

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi Crystal. Please forgive me for not getting to this post earlier. Thank you for reposting. This post came when I was at a convention and must have slipped by when I was checking through emails and posts upon my return. So, good you posted again. Also know for future reference, you may call our customer service line at 888-272-3291 and talk to any customer service person or ask to leave a message for me to call you.

From reading over your post I believe I'm reading a bit of a summation of my last post to you. You are correct in reading what I wrote as saying to take a slower pace and play the math card games. Always have an abacus available for your child. At this age asking if a child can add mentally is good, but certainly not necessary as she develops her understanding of math.

I'm confused about your question regarding "Do you do anything with place value?" Yes, the place value cards are a big piece in teaching place value. RightStart teaches place value from left to right because that is how we read numbers. If you are asking does RightStart teach place value the way many of us were taught in school, from right to left, than no, RightStart does not teach it that way. The main reason is to teach place value from right to left and then ask a child to read a number from left to right is actually quite confusing for the young child and is often why there are so many 5th and 6th grade students who have difficulties with place value.

The tapping of the place value cards sets in for the child the place value of a number. Ex: 100 as one-hun-dred tells a child that the hundred's place takes up three places. 20 as 2 ten tells a child the tens takes up two places, and 3 with one tap shows that the ones place takes only one place. As you have mentioned, I do believe that yes, with age these concepts will come along just fine.

As far as worksheets. At this young age you really don't need any more worksheets because, again we believe that playing the math card games are the best drill and review. The numeration section of the game book is good for helping a child understand place value. However, if you have a child who likes worksheets than I recommend that you consider purchasing the book titled Worksheets for the AL abacus.

This curriculum is taught for understanding using the AL abacus and math card games. Concepts build on each other so there is not an excessive amount of review from one level to the next. Mastery is found by playing the math card games.

I am more than happy to answer any of your questions. Don't hesitate to continue to ask them. Again feel free to email, post or call.

You may also appreciate posting your questions on the yahoo RightStart board which you can connect to through this website under forums. There are many homeschool families who share their thoughts and ideas on that site.

Sincerely, Rosine