Return to Website

Lilly Family Message Board and Forum

Keep in touch, look for relatives, discuss the reunion, do it all here in one spot!

Lilly Family Message Board and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need help on the WV Lilly Family

I would like to ask if anyone can help me identify the parents of my great grandfather x 3, David Hiram Lilly, I have information that suggests his father was Robert, but can not verify that, what I do know is that he was born in 1829, and died in 1910 in Wood County, WV, and is buried at Limestone Cemetery with his wife Jospehine Cline Lilly.
He shows up in Marion County WV in 1850 Census Records with wife Josephine and daughter Angelia.
Then found in the book Moccosin Tracks and Other Imprints by William Dodrill, an excerpt states that David Lilly of Randolph County, was elected attorney of the Commonwealth in Webster County, WV May 1860.
David and his family remain in Ranolph County until after the 1870 census, daughter Annie marries John M. Crouch, then David and his family are found in 1880 Census records living in Roane County.
His other children were:
Robert, lived in Webster County, later Randolph, was chief of police in Elkins in 1901, killed in a shoot out, man who shot him was taken from custody of police by angry mob and hung in city park. Article written about Robert says he had a brother named Luther who was at one time a policeman in Parkersburg, WV.
There was also another son named David who lived in Wood County and married a Isabelle Cline, then a daughter named Jennie.
The only other information I could find was from Chancery Records in Randolph County which mentions that David was also a pastor with the Protestant Methodist Episcopal Church in Pocahontas County as well as an accomplished lawyer.
I would appreciate any information that could help or point me into the correct direction on finding David's parents, thanks Randy

Re: Need help on the WV Lilly Family

My suggestion would be to first try Roots web on the internet. It's a free service and lots of Lilly's have posted info there that you can view. If that turns up nothing, I would go to the Cultural and History Library in Charleston. If you have dates of birth or death they allow you to look up info on microfilm.
If you find anything they will make you a copy for a small fee. I have been there several times and it's very interesting. Newspaper obits are also available.
Sorry I do not have info on your direct line but someone does. If you don't allready attend the Lilly reunion, I encourage you to do so. Someone there could help you. Best of luck in your search.

J. Lilly

Can You Trace Your Line To Robert Lilly ? Yes