Return to Website

Lilly Family Message Board and Forum

Keep in touch, look for relatives, discuss the reunion, do it all here in one spot!

Lilly Family Message Board and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Have info about Robert Lilly married to Mary Frances Moody

I posted a message a while back that said I found the missing links from Robert Lilly 1696-1810. Well I am still doing research and I found some errors in my research and have corrected them. I am still not possitive they are all correct. I would love if someone could check my work and let me know if they find errors. Anyway from my research I have found thatJohn Lilly married to Miss Billups had several Children on of those children was Edmund who had a son Edmund who married Ann Fleming? They had a Robert Lilly who married Mary Frances Moody. The Robert Lilly born from 1696-1810 was married to a Frances last name unknown they had Robert Lilly who married a Fanny last name unknown they died after 1817. I believe this is correct and I have sources to back it up I would love if someone who has done hard research on the family please check my work. My website is http://www.geocities.com/rocknrob73 Thank you.

Can You Trace Your Line To Robert Lilly ? yes

Re: Have info about Robert Lilly married to Mary Frances Moody

Robert, Please review the material again. If you were close I would jump on board to prove it. There are just no links to establish any kind of lineage and there is no justification for the jumps from person to person. There is not even a statistical basis for your assumptions. If you review the rest of the websites you reference you will find they contradict each other and your assertions. Below is the review you requested on the NOTES section of your site. Cousin Bob Zingo

DOCUMENT 1a
William and Mary College Quarterly Historical Magazine, Vol. 3, No. 1. (Jul., 1894), pp. 28-43.

Indicates that;
1. JOHN LILLY married _____ MALSON, the daughter of Edward Malson
2. MARY LILLY, dau. of the above John, married ROBERT READE, son of Col. George Reade

There is neither the mention of John Lilly as an immigrant nor the first name of his wife.

-----------------------------------------------------

DOCUMENT 1b
William and Mary College Quarterly Historical Papers, Vol. 1, No. 2 (Oct., 1892), pp. 89-98

Indicates that;
1. 1646 JOHN LILLY had a wife _____ CHISMAN, dau. of Edmund
2. 1693/4 ROBERT READE and his wife MARY LILLY READE sold land for the benefit of their eldest son John. Mary Lilly Reade is listed as John Lilly’s daughter.
3. That there was a JOHN LILLY, son of JOHN LILLY and D_____ of Gloucester Co., VA. Who was baptized Aug. 3, 1669 in Pocosin Parish, Virginia. No indication of age at baptism.

There is no link indicated between the several Johns and although the indication is that Major Edmund Chisman had a wife Mary there is no indication that she was the widow of John Lilly. The document does suggest that John Lilly was alive in 1646 as Edmund is indicated as the father-in-law of John Lilly, not the father of his widow. This would be 4 years after his death date as listed in the NOTES. Also, noting the relative dates, the article appeared 110 years ago and about 200 years after the activities.

------------------------------------------------------

DOCUMENT 2

“Education in Colonial Virginia. Part I: Poor Children and Orphans.”
By Tyler, Lyon Gardiner

Indicates that;
1. Orphan JOHN LILLY is granted his parents estate with the consent of his father–in-law, Edmund Chisman.

There is no information suggesting Edmund Chisman adopted John Lilly. John may have been indebtured to him to learn a trade until he was 21. This may be how John met and married Edmunds daughter.

DOCUMENT 3

Link is broken.

DOCUMENT 4

VIRGINIANS.COM - The Family History of John W. Pritchett

There is neither any indication that John Lilly and Dorothy Wade had a child John nor that the child John married Judith Billups. The only mentioned of a Judith Billups is the revelation that the Will of George Billups mentions a daughter, name unknown, who might have been Judith.

DOCUMENT 5

Ninth Generation (Ancestors of Charles Lyle Taylor)

1. The information on the website contradicts your assumptions. At least one set of statements is incorrect, possibly both are. You cannot conclude from conflicting information that your assumptions are correct. I do agree that there were multiple Robert Lillys alive at the same time. That is why it is critical to establish what information goes with which person.

DOCUMENT 6

This document states outright that there is no proof of the relationships shown and that most of it is based on assumptions due to the geographic proximity of different people with the Lilly surname.

DOCUMENT 7

Indicates that a Robert Lilly married an Obedience Conley in Monroe Co., VA. It does not show the parentage of either person and it has already been established that there were at least 2 Robert Lillys living at the time. There is no reason to assume that this was a son of Robert Lilly and Mary Frances Moody. In this instance I agree with your conclusion but I see no reason, from the information you present, that you could rely on its accuracy.

That Robert and Mary both lived past 100 and other myths are nonsense created by some Lilly family members for publicity purposes.

BTW, you should run spell check on your site.

Can You Trace Your Line To Robert Lilly ? Yes, 6 ways back to Robert Lilly and Mary Frances Moody

My grandmother's name is Irene Turbeville Ritchey her mothers name was Nora m Lilly born 5/1/ 1886 death was march 1970 her fathers name was Robert Lilly born 1858 he married a Laura Hollman she passed away early Roberts fathers name was John Lilly born 1816 he married Sarah Bias born 1824 Johns fathers name was Robert Lilly born 1776 in Albemarle co va. died 1860 in logan co wv he married Obedience bidget 'biiby' WAS BORN 1783 .. thats all I know so my question is does my line cross into this Lilly line?

Can You Trace Your Line To Robert Lilly ? I beleave so

Re: Re: Have info about Robert Lilly married to Mary Frances Moody

I have a picture of some Lillys taken 1912 on the banks of the wallbash river called fish camp north of Clinton Indiana looks like a family gathering Lillys listed are Warner Lilly, Ollie, Mather, Mary Lilly, John Lilly, Albert Lilly.

Can You Trace Your Line To Robert Lilly ? I beleave so

I have the same Robert and Mary in my husbands line. Did your robert and Mary have a sone named William, Not sure if it is his first or Middle. If you can help me please let me know

Can You Trace Your Line To Robert Lilly ? if it is the same robert then yes.