Return to Website

Lilly Family Message Board and Forum

Keep in touch, look for relatives, discuss the reunion, do it all here in one spot!

Lilly Family Message Board and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Free Dna test William Lilly and Lucy Wynne of Gloucester and Mathews County, William died 1781

A lady named Judy Byrne who is doing research on our family asked me if I would be interested in finding people to take a free dna test so I decided to pass on her information. Her research seems very good. She has a scanned copy of a deposition from John Lilly who first came to this country. The document proves that John Lilly came to this country in 1637 on the Elizabeth of London. Her website is http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cullember/otherfam/lillylilley.html if you are interested.
Anyways she sent me the following email so I decided to post it here if anyone is related to William Lilly and Lucy Wynne would like to take a free DNA test.

I am particularly looking for proof of descendants. I am not aware of real proof of all of the descendants of Robert. PS. I don't 'know if you found the page on YDNA. We have enough YDNA matches to prove that Robert and the descendants of Edmund share a Lilly male ancestor. I will be honest about this. When I first started and looked at the Robert born 1600s etc, I didn't even think that your Robert was related to my Edmund. It was only gradually as we researched that I changed my mind and realized that he was another son of Edmund. When we had the YDNA done, it was a delight to prove the research and the logic. Dare I confess to being a little smug? We did recently have some evidence of an autosomal link between the Flippen line and the Lilly's. I was excited about that. Again what was on my site was based on scanty evidence and logic that Edmund was married to a Flippen.
I have begged for people out of the desc of William Lilly of Gloucester County, VA to do a YDNA test. I offered a free test if someone would research and find a living male descendant. No one but me cares I guess. I am involved with other things and I don't have time for this. But if you really care about your ancestry, see if you can locate living male descendants out of that county. Autosomal DNA does not help because it does not go back that far usually. We do have some hints in that form but they are from female descedents. What we need is a male Lilly who can prove [or nearly prove] his Lilly line to test. if so, this would prove the research back into England to 1640. The Y line changes very slowly over the generations. Because of the burned counties, that is the only way we will ever be able to prove that Edmund Lilly was the descendant of John Lilly who came to America ca. 1640.
I have suggested a thorough search of the Ancestry trees to see you can locate individuals in that family who may know of a living male. Ditto Rootsweb etc. There are Lilly's still living in Gloucester Co, VA. The research on my site would be a starting place. I gave up when it became apparent that no one else was interested in this issue.

June Byrne

Can You Trace Your Line To Robert Lilly ? yes