Return to Website

Lilly Family Message Board and Forum

Keep in touch, look for relatives, discuss the reunion, do it all here in one spot!

Lilly Family Message Board and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Robert Lilly's Migration from Fluvanna County, VA

Hello cousins,

I am an intermediate genealogist from Fluvanna County, VA just outside Charlottesville. I have been researching the Lilly line for several years, and I have some topics and conclusions I'd like to discuss.

It has been established that Robert Lilly was probably not born in 1696, as the marker at Flat Top Baptist Church alludes. His children were born in the 1770's. He likely married Fanny Moody just before (some say about 1767). If he were born then he would be 76 when he became a father. This is most certainly unlikely. He was likely born between 1735 and 1742.

Most genealogists are aware of property records dating to the early 1760s in Albemarle (now Fluvanna County) in which Robert Lilly purchased several hundred acres of land from Charles Dameron. It was then sold and another purchase was made in Franklin County. He then sold those tracts and settled on the Bluestone River. There are other Lillys in the area at that time; Edmund Lilly located here years earlier, when this was part of Goochland County. Edmund had several known sons living nearby- Armiger, William and John. These are relatively unique names, and Lilly genealogists know that Robert's sons and grandsons share them.

It is very likely that Edmund Lilly is Robert's father, and that Armiger, William and John are brothers. Their land purchase all coincide with that of a father and sons. The time frame is right for them to be family, and I have recently learned from another genealogist that DNA testing has confirmed a match between Roberts line and Edmund's.

Setting aside the many rumors, does anyone have additional information on this connection? I am happy to share what I have and I can put you in touch with others who have done extensive research on this subject.

Thanks,
Frank Crum

Can You Trace Your Line To Robert Lilly ? Yes

Re: Robert Lilly's Migration from Fluvanna County, VA

That old three century nonsense was the "work" of Gustav Anjou, now recognized as a fraud. I've straightened out most of the early generations in America as well as some of the English roots. Uncle Abe and others spent $5000 on that piece of garbage. Could a couple have lived in three centuries? Yes, but they weren't having children in their eighties! Go to ancestry.com, search for one of our known ancestors, and when you see Eden's Harvest as a possible lead, click on. Warning: ancestry will allow you to view the site for free for three days. You can print out tree pages by clicking onto printer icon in the left margin of the page.
'

Can You Trace Your Line To Robert Lilly ? Many of the Roberts! But there are hundreds of them; if it doesn't make sense, ignore it.7