Return to Website

Lilly Family Message Board and Forum

Keep in touch, look for relatives, discuss the reunion, do it all here in one spot!

Lilly Family Message Board and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: any body know when the first lilly's went to america?

There are no Lillys on the transcribed list of that ship, and the links to the Catholics of Maryland are likewise entirely unsupported.
Indenturement is misunderstood. Most children were taught trades as indentured servants. When someone bought your passage to the Virginia colony, they owned the "head rights" to the land and you were indentured to work for them for a certain period, typically seven years. It was a serious business: colonial newspapers carry ads for run-away indentured servants just as they did for runaway slaves, including a printer's apprentice Robert Lilly, by the way. A woman captured by Indians for many years was still forced to serve out her indenturement when she returned.
Interestingly, when the first captured Africans were brought to Virginia on a Dutch ship, the Dutch were out of food and traded them. There was no provision in Virginia for slavery then, so they were indentured. The system changed of course over time.

PAUL,
COULD YOU SEND ME ANY INFORMATION YOU HAVE ABOUT OUR FAMILY? I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THIS FOR EVER, AND HAVENT BEEN ABLE TO GET PAST MY GRANDPARENTS.
THANK YOU
TED

Can You Trace Your Line To Robert Lilly ? no

I found a deposition in either 1638 or 1639 of a John Lilly who came to Virginia in 1637 on the Elizabeth of London
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cullember/otherfam/
1639deposition.html
and
http://image.lva.virginia.gov/VTLS/CR/04005/index.html
Survey report page 2 and page 3

Can You Trace Your Line To Robert Lilly ? yes

If you want to look up the lilly I have found in Suffolk my tree is available on ancestry gordon Paul lilly is anyone wants to have a look.
My grandfathers building firm Walter lilly is still in existence after 90 years. Although no longer owned by the family it is a major firm in and around London. Their 90 th birthday celebrations were held at the Tower of London