Return to Website

Lilly Family Message Board and Forum

Keep in touch, look for relatives, discuss the reunion, do it all here in one spot!

Lilly Family Message Board and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gabriel Lilly in Unmasking Thomas Jefferson, Smithsonian Magazine, October 2012

In the Smithsonian Magazine, October 2012, there is an article about Thomas Jefferson that refers extensively to an overseer he employed named Gabriel Lilly(and son Wilson Lilly). Indeed, Gabriel Lily is central to much of the message conveyed by the article. I was not aware of this and am wondering if Gabriel Lilly is related to the Robert Lilly family branch of the Lilly Family.

Can You Trace Your Line To Robert Lilly ? yes

Re: Gabriel Lilly in Unmasking Thomas Jefferson, Smithsonian Magazine, October 2012

There is quite a bit about Gabriel Lilly on the Monticello website: basically, he was considered a very good supervisor -- although harsh with slaves -- but left when Jefferson could not raise his wages and commissions to 100 pounds a year: 75 yes, but Jefferson said in a letter to someone, but a jump to 100 from 50 was too great. This Gabriel Lilly then reported goes off to Kentucky. There is a reference to a son, but it is a step-son, so I don't think he figures in our line, so far as I can tell from this quick read.

http://www.monticello.org/site/plantation-and-slavery/gabriel-lilly

Re: Gabriel Lilly in Unmasking Thomas Jefferson, Smithsonian Magazine, October 2012

You stated that Wilson Lilly son of Gabriel Lilly is a stepson. Do you have any information to back this up and does it state who his parents were?

Can You Trace Your Line To Robert Lilly ? Unsure yet