Return to Website

Lilly Family Message Board and Forum

Keep in touch, look for relatives, discuss the reunion, do it all here in one spot!

Lilly Family Message Board and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking for ancestors of John Lilly(b 1818). Married Margaret Ann Swick in Augusta Co. VA.

I am looking for ancestors of John Lilly b ~1818 in VA. Married Margaret Ann Swick (b 1826) in Augusta County, VA 1848. They appear in 1850 census in Augusta County, VA, appear in 1860 census in Sangamon County, IL. They had 5 children, Elizabeth Jane and John Alexander born in VA, George Lewis, William Emanuel and Margaret Ann born in IL. Based upon children birth dates they moved to IL 1853 or 1854. John and spouse are buried in Macon County, IL although they probably died in DeWitt County.

Can You Trace Your Line To Robert Lilly ? No

Re: Looking for ancestors of John Lilly(b 1818). Married Margaret Ann Swick in Augusta Co. VA.

Hello Roger, for some reason I have Margaret Ann Swick with a date of Oct 12, 1848. If you are the same Roger as the owner of the Ancestry.com page I connected to, the date would be her marriage date to John Alexander Lilly. I have dabbled in Geneology and had tried to connect a couple of my neighbors to my family tree. For some reason that name Swick sticks in my head as being my neighbors relation. I made the mistake tossing all my scibbles so I will have to ask her again and get back to you. Her name is Sharon Pierpoint, does that ringing a bell?

Can You Trace Your Line To Robert Lilly ? Yes

Re: Looking for ancestors of John Lilly(b 1818). Married Margaret Ann Swick in Augusta Co. VA.

Hello John, If you are referring to the Ancestry.com page owned by rdlilly1, yes you have found me. The Pierpoint surname is not familiar to me. My ancestry.com page shows a William Lilly as the father of John Lilly, but I have been unable to prove it and am beginning to have my doubts. At best I believe they are related as they seemed to travel to IL at the same time and settled a few miles apart although in adjacent counties.
I have not posted all of William Lilly's probate file, however the remainder does not contain any usable genealogy data. William's probate record names a son John however the name John is recycled so often I can not accept it as proof of relationship.
If you look at the 1850 census you will find a Swick family two houses away from William Lilly in Augusta County, VA. In this census Lilly was spelled Lilley. Headstones of both William and John spell the name Lilly.
Surnames that traveled with John and William Lilly to IL were Swick and Coffman. There may be others that I have not identified.

Can You Trace Your Line To Robert Lilly ? No

Just recently started my genealogy on my maternal side. My mother is Treva Darling, her mother was Lola STratman, daughter of Gussie Lilly, Gussie's father was William Lilly and William's father was John Alexander Lilly, mother Margaret Swick. I am on ancestry.com and would love to hear from any relations on this site. My maternal grandmother, Lola Stratman, died when my mom was just 5 years old so not much family history. Exciting finding my roots!

Can You Trace Your Line To Robert Lilly ? YES