Return to Website

Lilly Family Message Board and Forum

Keep in touch, look for relatives, discuss the reunion, do it all here in one spot!

Lilly Family Message Board and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
looking for Information on George Washington Lilly

George Washington Lilly was my great-grandfather. Cecil Dice Lilly was my grand-father. My fathers' name is Charles Edward Lilly. As far as i know the Beech Run area of Summers County next to Hinton, WV is about as far back as i have found to date. My father was born July 16th, 1932 and resides in Pipestem, Wv. he married Rebecca Anne (Neely) of Pipestem, (formerly of Bluefield, WV). Cecil Dice Lilly married Margie Meadows and had 2 daughters, (Ruth and Mary) and 5 sons (Donald(deceased), Robert, Raymond, Charles, and Richard. Will someone please get me started in the right direction on this?

Can You Trace Your Line To Robert Lilly ? unsure at this point

Re: looking for Information on George Washington Lilly

Attend the reunion in August and someone there can help you. If not, you need to get birth or death certificates from the Cultural & History library in Charleston, WV. THe research is free, they just charge you for copies made. It it worth going to. I spent a whole day going through microfilm and copying certificates from my family line. Rootsweb is another helpful site that is free

Can You Trace Your Line To Robert Lilly ? Yes

My Great, great granddaddy had a brother named George Washington Lilly, his name was Elijah Lilly

Can You Trace Your Line To Robert Lilly ? Sure can

This might be a different George Washington Lilly, born 1867 in Missouri, had several marriages, died in Oct 26 1946 in Butte Montana. Father was Ferdinand Lilly, born approx 1825 in Kentucky, son of Henry Wilson Lilly.

Can You Trace Your Line To Robert Lilly ? unsure but husbands name is Robert Benton Lilly

Hi Homer,

I've looked at records on the LDS family Search site and the WV Culture site in an attempt to help. This is what I've found:

Your grandfather Cecil Lilly was born 18 Jan 1893. His birth record appears on the WV Culture site here:

http://www.wvculture.org/vrr/va_view2.aspx?FilmNumber=589340&ImageNumber=161

He is the son of G.W. and Lydia Lilly.

He then appears in the 1910 US Census with his parents here:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MPJ8-MPV

I assume this is him again. He appears again in the 1930 US Census as a boarder in the home of Samuel McClung:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XMCW-HTT

Lastly, he is shown as head of household in 1940 with your father, uncles and aunts here:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/K7ZB-GXL

I can't find a marriage record, but he and Margie must have married around 1930, as son Raymond is 9 years old in 1940.

I can't find a George W. Lilly who matches your great grandfather, nor can I find a record of his wife Lydia. If you can find out anything else about them (marriage date, burial location), maybe I can further help you. Feel free to respond to this post or email privately frank.crum@comcast.net.

Regards,

Frank Crum

Can You Trace Your Line To Robert Lilly ? Yes, two ways

UPDATE:

I have a Green Washington Lilly in my tree. His birth record states his name as such, but his marriage record to Mary Linnie (or Lidia) Allen states his name as George. He is my second cousin 3X removed. I believe I can complete your Lilly lineage. Please email me for details.

Frank

Can You Trace Your Line To Robert Lilly ? Yes, two ways

George Washington Lilly listed in the lineage of Robert & Fanny Moody Lilly the early ancestors of the Lilly Family of southern WV is the son of William "Dr. Bill" Lilly who was the son of Edmund. George was married to Sallie Fink & these are the names of his children.

1. ELIZA BELLE LILLY
2. ROBERT E L LILLY
3. LOUVENIA A (VINEA) LILLY
4. GEORGE W (BRUCE) LILLY
5. JOSEPH ELBERT LILLY
6. REBECCA JANE LILLY
7. SARAH (SALLY) LILLY
8. EDIE A LILLY
9. WILLIAM HENRY LILLY
10. NAPOLEON G LILLY
11. HENDERSON LILLY

Joseph Elbert Lilly married Virginia Ransom, they were my grandparents.

Can You Trace Your Line To Robert Lilly ? yes

Oh, wow. I'm so excited to have found this site and the Lillys. I am new to genealogy and know very little about my West Virginia roots. My great great grandparents were George Washington Lilly and Sallie Fink. My great grandmother was Sally Faye Lilly who married Mathias Crook. My grandmother was Mary Jane Crook. I am proud to be related to Finks, Crooks, and Lillys!

There are eight George W or George Washington Lilly’s in the Official Lilly Reunion Family Tree. They are all traced back to Robert Lilly and Frances Moody Lilly.

Suggest you contact our Lilly Tree Editor at: editorlillytree@cox.net

Hey Homer,

Hopefully after all this time you will see this. I will try your email also.
Please note that I have your great grandfather as Green, not George, Washington Lilly.

Your line, as I have it is;
Homer Keith Lilly
son of Charles Edward Lilly
son of Cecil Dice Lilly (1893-1958)
son of Green Washington (Wash) Lilly (1867-bet 1910-1920)
son of John W. (Big John) Lilly (1832-aft 1910)
son of James W. Lilly (1806-1862)
son of Edmund Lilly Sr. (1772-1832)
son of Robert Lilly Sr. (1735- circa 1817)

Contact me please if you are interested in swapping information.
Cousin Bob