ADHD & Aspergers Forum

ADHD, Aspergers and related disorders :- Post your questions, or just make your opinion known. Tell us if you have ADHD/Aspergers and what life is like for you. Or are you a parent who would like to share your experiences or need advice from others. Feel free to post your comments but remember to consider the feelings of others. The opinions expressed here are those of individuals and not those of professionals and may not reflect the views of the host. Discression is advised when ascertaining the validity of message contents. Stay safe - do not give out your address or phone number. :-)

ADHD & Aspergers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
someone please help

im hoping that someone out there can help me understand my son and the emotions that im feeling. my son is 7 and up untill now i always new he would be slightly delayed in his social and academic skills as he had a traumatic birth and developed meningitis at the age of 2. i have taken him to a pediatrition and the outcome was that my son has slight add and asperger's and that is ok i can deal with that but what i can not deal with is his constant mood swings, his anger, and his swearing. he just got suspended from before and after school care for swearing and i am not sure how to deal with everything that is being thrown at me. my emotions are all over the place i am a single parent and have just about reached my limit with his behaviour and kack of respect not just for me but for everything around him.although i can say when he is good you could not ask for a better child and when he is interested in something he can concentrate on it for as long as you want him to unlike his homework where in the end i give up just trying to sit him down to do it. i honestly do not know what to do next please someone i need help

Re: someone please help

I havejust found out myself that my 9 year old has both Asperger's and ADHD and it is very overwelming. I had been trying for 3 years to have him tested but I keep getting thir is nothing wrong with him it is just your emaganation. Well after getting know were for a long time I was able to convince his teachers to do a Conner's test and then found out that he could have ADHD. I was glad to know that it wasn't in my head. My son's psycologist did a learning disability test on him and that is when we found out that he has Aspergers as well as ADHD. I have only known for a short period of time but is dosen't get any easier trying to figgure out ways for them to do what you want. We have had a lot of talks trying to explane to him what he is doing is wrong but you might just as well be talking to the wall. My son is also a very loveing boy and can be very sweet at times but when the other part of him showes up he is a totally different person. Just take it day by day and enjoy the good times and figgure out how to deal with the bad times when they come up

Take care

Lisa

Re: someone please help

im sorry to hear u are having such a hard time with your child i can relate to that.have u talked with your health visitor or looked into local support groups in your area.im wondering if u have someone to take him off your hands for a couple of hours to give u a much needed break. find out what he is interested in and send him to some clubs kids usually have things they are really into and it gives them a focus.chat with him about his fave subjects i know its hard when u just want time to yourself but its worth the effort.there may be parenting classes to help deal with children with behavioural problems to help u find better solutions.i wish u all the best

Re: Re: someone please help

i have a 14 year old and a single parent, I have walked your shoes and its hard rejoice in the positive . My advice to you is let the system help you, get plugged in. With a diagnosis you should beable to get doors open for your son. It may be a fight and time consuming but will benefit you much later on. So Ask god to help you open the right doors for you. School should help, but often times they do a good job of pushing the blame on you, Keep your head up, Keep Asking because the right doors will open, Ask for a mental health case worker, get PCA's, respite, Get some help for you- Remeber god only gives you what you can handle. So dont think you cant. Find time some how to replenish your batteries, nature, walk or whatever.
I know how you feel- there has been nights I used to cry myself to sleep.
Get the right supports. Hope this has helped you a little- God Bless You