ADHD & Aspergers Forum

ADHD, Aspergers and related disorders :- Post your questions, or just make your opinion known. Tell us if you have ADHD/Aspergers and what life is like for you. Or are you a parent who would like to share your experiences or need advice from others. Feel free to post your comments but remember to consider the feelings of others. The opinions expressed here are those of individuals and not those of professionals and may not reflect the views of the host. Discression is advised when ascertaining the validity of message contents. Stay safe - do not give out your address or phone number. :-)

ADHD & Aspergers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: ADHD HELP!

Still keep on pushing for the testing to be done. You are entitled to have your son tested for ADHD and they can't refuse you this. It took me years to have Daniel diagnosed, but i kept up the pushing and wouldn't let it drop. I know how you feel, and at times i blamed myself for Dans behavior. You know in yourself if something isn't quite right with your child and believe me, as he gets older the symtoms get worse if you don't get the right treatment. We have just been awarded disability for Dan, which helps replace things that he breaks.
Good luck with getting the diagnosis and remember that we are all here on this site to help and chat away with.
DON'T GIVE UP
Love Jo
ps: Let us all know how you get on.

Re: Re: ADHD HELP!

I've had a rough christmas! The day my son finished school I got a letter from the paediatricians saying that, because the schools answers don't match mine, he doesn't have ADHD and they wouldn't even see him. They didn't even want to see my diary! The school refuses to support me although they agree with me in private. I was talking to his teacher on the first day back, about my son's behaviour at a family 'do' where he said rude words constantly and dropped his trousers in front of people 4 times, and his teacher said 'He does that here too!' I read that if children are having problems the health visitor will continue to see them, but my health visitor has refused to help. ADHD explains all the problems that i've had over the years, and i'm trying so hard to make sure my son doesn't go through the same things. I'm beginning to think that we'll never get any help.

Re: Re: Re: ADHD HELP!

Jenny,

i don't know where you live, but your not alone.
I guess most of the parents that are on here have gone through what you have just wrote.

My advice, when i could not get anyone to listen to me i went to a private practice, i was lucky that bens doctor is the best in the field of ADHD & Aspergers.
I will give over his name and address at the bottom.
I know money will be tight, but to get help, advice and treatment from this man, gives you the light that THERE IS A DOCTOR THAT BELIEVES WHAT YOUR SAYING IS TRUE.
I stood one night after my son tried to kill his sisters and set fire to another part of my house, i stood in the pub, the pub where i worked with a photo of my kid on a bucket and i asked people for their change.
I got the £400 what was needed to see this doctor(after ringing him and filling in some forms)
It was one of the best selfless act's i have ever done.
I got help when Ben was 5, but that was still 5 yrs too late.
Once the doctor diagnosed ben when back to his gp who trwated and funded ben to still see this doctor every 6 months and ben gets his prescrptions as well from him.
you can go private first then nhs will pay for treatment and support.

Dr Geoff Kewley
Learning Assessment Centre
48-50 Spring field Road
Horsham
west Sussex

He understands, stands by you, talks to you by phone if you need to talk to him, he his the best in his field.

Hope you find this helpfull, it worked for me. I have a proffessional who is on my son's side and backs me when the going is tough.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I've had a rough christmas! The day my son finished school I got a letter from the paediatricians saying that, because the schools answers don't match mine, he doesn't have ADHD and they wouldn't even see him. They didn't even want to see my diary! The school refuses to support me although they agree with me in private. I was talking to his teacher on the first day back, about my son's behaviour at a family 'do' where he said rude words constantly and dropped his trousers in front of people 4 times, and his teacher said 'He does that here too!' I read that if children are having problems the health visitor will continue to see them, but my health visitor has refused to help. ADHD explains all the problems that i've had over the years, and i'm trying so hard to make sure my son doesn't go through the same things. I'm beginning to think that we'll never get any help.

Re: Re: Re: Re: ADHD HELP!

hi
i no exactly where you are coming from my son didnt get diagnosed till he was 9 and i had to keep going backwards and forwards from the doctors to get help eventually after years i finally got a doctor to refer him to a phycologist who said he didnt think it was adhd but that darren had emotional problems so i said right next appointment you have my son on your own and ill sit in waiting room thats what i done he came back out the room after 5 mins and said im sorry i think you are right i think your son has adhd as he was turning the taps on and of he was burping in the drs face he was passing wind in the drs face he was charging round the room climbing all over the chairs etc he then refereed darren to a phyciatrist and a peadiatrician and then darren got diagnosed with adhd ocd odd and tourettes and now he is also under investigation for aspergers syndrome and hes 13 now . what im trying to say here is yeah the going gets really tough but dont give up keep pestering the doctors ask for him to be refered to phycology or phyciatry they r the best for looking into childrens problems adhd etc let me no how you get on
take care
sarah

Re: ADHD HELP!

my son arron is 8 years old, and finally got diagnosed with A.D.H.D. yesterday, after 6 long years. dont give up hope keep on at your doctors social services and school if appropriate.
my son will start to take ritalin from today.
when no one listens to you, you have to shout a bit louder.DONT GIVE UP no matter how far down you go.
best of luck, and feel free to contact me
with regards
sandra