ADHD & Aspergers Forum

ADHD, Aspergers and related disorders :- Post your questions, or just make your opinion known. Tell us if you have ADHD/Aspergers and what life is like for you. Or are you a parent who would like to share your experiences or need advice from others. Feel free to post your comments but remember to consider the feelings of others. The opinions expressed here are those of individuals and not those of professionals and may not reflect the views of the host. Discression is advised when ascertaining the validity of message contents. Stay safe - do not give out your address or phone number. :-)

ADHD & Aspergers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
preparing for IEP meeting, need AS/ADHD info

dear friends,
how do i get the educational system to acknowledge a possible adhd AND aspergers diagnosis?

Is it difficult to assess the aspergers at only the age of 5. Some of the social questions and other behavioral questions on the AS test are difficult to answer because I can't differenciate between what is just a normal 5 year old behavior and what is not.

I adopted this son of mine at birth, however I recently was informed fromt he birth family that his 1/2 brother and 2 cousins have all been diagnosed with AS. I was told by the school system that that doesn't really mean anything. Well, It sure does seem like it means something to me!

I could use a friend and some support. I am at a loss to know what to do next.

Sincerely,
Amie Tennant

Re: preparing for IEP meeting, need AS/ADHD info

hi Amie
My son was diagnosed with AS at the age of 5, he is now 11 and is in mainstream school (with some support). At the age of 6 i took him out of mainstream and he went to a special school for 1 year he then went to a mainstream school with a EBD unit. It's not easy dealing with the so-called professionals who don't know your child YOU DO, you have to live with him every day. Trust your mothers instinct and stay strong. The LEA have an obligation to give your son an education, if he isn't getting an education they are failing him, so demand help for him. It is not an easy journey you are starting on, but push for a diagnosis, when you have that apply for disability benefit for your son.
Chin up, stay strong

Mandy

Re: preparing for IEP meeting, need AS/ADHD info

Hi Amie,
As your son has got an Individual Education Plan,the school has acknowleged your son has got problems.Aspergers is highly hereditory and is more in boys than girls.As the school are not willing to get a school phychologist involved to get a diagnosis,take matters in to your own hands and take him to your own GP who has to refer your son on for further testing.Every parent has the right by law to have their child tested if they wish to do so.For ADHD they give you a conners score sheet to fill in,it is really easy and 1 will be sent to school.For AS you will be given a child history booklet to fill in,which is harder to do,but remember to put every last detail in it about your childs behaviour.Its a long hard process and i fought for years to prove my son had ADHD,but it was a lot quicker for my son who has AS.I hope this has helped you some?And good luck to you both!
Jo