ADHD & Aspergers Forum

ADHD, Aspergers and related disorders :- Post your questions, or just make your opinion known. Tell us if you have ADHD/Aspergers and what life is like for you. Or are you a parent who would like to share your experiences or need advice from others. Feel free to post your comments but remember to consider the feelings of others. The opinions expressed here are those of individuals and not those of professionals and may not reflect the views of the host. Discression is advised when ascertaining the validity of message contents. Stay safe - do not give out your address or phone number. :-)

ADHD & Aspergers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
aspergers and secondary schools

My son is 10 and has aspergers and dyslexia. I had to change schools before anyone would listen to me when I told them that something was wrong. It was like hitting my head against a stone wall for the past 4 years. When he went to his new school they realised that he had learning difficulties within 6 weeks and he was finaly diagnosed last year. My concern is that he is due to go up to secondary school in a year and I know that they will eat him alive there. Has anyone any suggestions please as my husband and I split up last year and he is no help at all.

Re: aspergers and secondary schools

Hi
My eldest son is Aspergers too and is 14 now. He went to sencondary school for a year before i pulled him out and started home education. He attends Interhigh online and it only costs £165 per calender month which disability easily covers. The school is brilliant and even do school productions. They do cater for children with disabilities and my son loves it. I'm a single parent myself so i know how you feel. I chose to home educate because my son had been severely bullied throughout his school life for being different, resulting in a severe attack that landed him in hospital. I regret not taking him out of school sooner as he now suffers more conditions as a result of this attack.
If you look up education otherwise you can get some useful information and also look at the possibility (if you don't want to HE) of getting your son a statement of educational needs so you could send him to a special school if you prefer.
Good luck and please let me know how you get on?

Re: Re: aspergers and secondary schools

When my son was going to transition to secondary school, my special ed teacher made sure to train all of the teachers about aspergers. They had a little mini-course on it and handed out information for them to read. We did a walk thru with a map of the school privately and he was introduced to all the teachers a few days before classes started. He was assigned a couple buddies to watch out for him. I know alot of kids have one on one aids who would be a huge help as well. Maybe these aren't enough answers for you, but they greatly relieved his and my stress levels at the time!!