The Queen's Own Buffs Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

The Queen's Own Buffs Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Information about WW1 soldier Arthur Leslie Maynard

Hi,

I am trying to trace as much info as I can about My Father-In-Law's late father on my F-I-L's behalf. AT 96 he isn't tech savvy.
We are trying to trace what info we can about Arthur and his WW1 service. We have sketchy info as the records are virtually non-existent. We believe his regimental number may have been 2092 or 2093, both appear on what little info we have. He enlisted on 10 Sep 1914 in the Buffs. his damaged discharge certificate from 1919 has the reference either CH7514 or EH7514.

We are not even sure which battalion he served in, let alone any real details.

We know he served at Loos in 1915, which suggests either 2, 6 or 8 Battalion.
Most likely 8 Bn based on an anecdote that his battalion was so decimated it was broken up and transferred to another unit. I believe this probably refers to the transfer of 8 Bn from 7sBde/24 Div to 17 Bde/24 Div.

Is there a regimental museum or association that may be able to assist. Once I find out what battalion I may be able to research unit war diaries if they are still available.

Thanks
Martin Hopkins

Re: Information about WW1 soldier Arthur Leslie Maynard

I can confirm his service number was G2093. He went overseas with the 8th Battalion on 31/8/1915 and later served with the 1st Battalion. He was discharged on 26/9/1919 with the rank of Lance Corporal. I have him listed on a roll of 15 Platoon in the 8th Battalion. This puts him in D Company. I don’t have it to hand at the moment but I’ll have a look over the next few days.

Mick Mills

Re: Information about WW1 soldier Arthur Leslie Maynard

Thanks, That would be great.

How do you know this stuff?

Trying to contact Mick Mills regarding research into 'Cory's Unit'

Mick,

I have been trying to track you down to request your assistance - I am serving officer in the British Army and currently doing some research on D Company 6th Bn the Buffs: 'Cory's Unit'.

I am doing this for my lifelong friend who is both a veteran himself and the current CEO of Cory: Dougie Sutherland. - he is going to provide me with a good quality copy of their original photo of the company in 1915 with all the men named.

At the moment I am looking to produce some wall 'posters'/Information boards and perhaps an information booklet and probably put together a battlefield tour for them. I don't know yet the extent of what I'm going to be able to provide.

I came across mention of your Buffs' Database both in the Great War Forum and the Friends of the Buffs Website and would be keen to see if you could assist me in my project. I have attacked the officers first (as they are always the easiest to track down) this week and would like to do justice to the real stars of Cory's Unit: the worker bees who became the soldiers and NCOs.

Many thanks in anticipation

Lee Smart

Re: Trying to contact Mick Mills regarding research into 'Cory's Unit'

Lee

I’ve got a lot of information on D Company and it would be great to share our research. I’ve sent you an email so we can get things started

Mick Mills