The Queen's Own Buffs Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

The Queen's Own Buffs Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jack Priest - The Buffs (WWI) - Palestine possibly 2nd Lieut. or Sgt (or both along the way)

Hello All,

I've spent a few years tracing my direct descendants and have gathered, from what I believe, all I can in regards to their service, but my 2x Great Grandfather's brother, Jack Priest, is said to have been either in the Royal West - Queen's Own - or Royal East - The Buffs - dependent on the source (I also believe it is due to the amalgamation of the two may have muddied the waters, as I found with other regiments previously).

It appears that he had fought in Palestine, as I may have found a photo of him and his comrades there.

Is it possible to find out any further information on him, please? I am lacking a personnel number at this point, so it's been a slog so far.

Re: Jack Priest - The Buffs (WWI) - Palestine possibly 2nd Lieut. or Sgt (or both along the way)

Richard

There are no direct matches in The Buffs. The only OR Priest with initial J was James Priest, a Private who died in France in 1918. The only officer with the surname was Captain Sidney Priest and he served in Europe.

There was a Sergeant Frederick John Priest who served with the WK Yeomanry and 10th Buffs. They were in Palestine. Could he be known as Jack?

Mick Mills

Re: Jack Priest - The Buffs (WWI) - Palestine possibly 2nd Lieut. or Sgt (or both along the way)

Hi Mick,

Thank you, I think you've unlocked the next piece of the puzzle for me. I've dug into our family tree a bit more and have 'John Priest' as the name, and we do have a family habit of using our middle names as our first in official instances, along with nicknames (hence the fun I've had thus far).

According to some of the documentation of my direct ancestor: http://www.doverwarmemorialproject.org.uk/Casualties/WWI/Service%20Notes/PriestAH.htm

Brother.
2nd Lieut. Jack Priest � age 24 � 10th R.W.K. Regt. Army (Occupation?) Germany.

This would potentially match:

Sergeant Frederick John Priest who served with the WK Yeomanry and 10th Buffs.

Would there happen to be a service number I could use from here on out, please?

Frederick John Priest was born in 1891. He served with the West Kent Yeomanry from 20/7/1915 which was amalgamated into the 10th Buffs. He was with the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force from 15/3/1916 until they moved to the Western Front on 28/4/1918

His number was 2035 and later when the Territorial Force was renumbered in 1917 it was 270940

Mick Mills

There is an Arthur Henry Priest with very similar numbers; 2040 and 270943. Could they be related and joined at the same time?