The Queen's Own Buffs Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

The Queen's Own Buffs Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Charles Sidney Lee WW1

Hi there,

Wondering if anyone might be able to help. My Great Grand-Uncle served in the The Buffs East Kent Regiment. I would love to learn more about where he served and if there's anymore information about him. Does anyone know where would be a good place to look?

Many thanks,
Steve

Re: Charles Sidney Lee WW1

Steve

Is this the Charles Lee that died on 30/4/1915?

Mick Mills

Hi Mick,

It is! Did you have some info on him?

Cheers,
Steve

Yes I do. I’ll get the info together and post it here

Mick Mills

That's amazing thank you so much.

Charles Sidney Lee joined The Buffs at Canterbury on 28/12/1905. He was a grocers assistant aged 18 yrs 7 mo born in Woodchurch. He had previously been rejected for military service due to under chest measurement. He had previously served in the Special Reserve of The Buffs from 2/11/1905. He had light brown hair and blue eyes. He was 5’4” tall with a 34” chest. 4 of his teeth were decayed. His father was William and his stepmother Violet living at Long Row, Mersham, Ashford. His brothers were William, James, Reginald and Harold. His sisters were Annie and Dorothy.

He was appointed to the 1st Battalion on 1/4/1906 and transferred to the 2nd Battalion on 27/09/1906. He served in S Africa, Hong Kong, Singapore and India. They left for the UK on 16/11/1914. They arrived on the Western Front on 17/1/1915. He was admitted to number 10 Casualty Clearing Station on 1/2/1915 at Hazebrouck and then number 8 Ambulance Train then number 4 Staionary Hospital with bronchitis and discharged on 1/4/1915. He would have taken part in the 2nd Battle of Ypres. He died on 30/4/1915 when the Battalion were in the trenches at Gravenstafel. His service record states he was killed in action but the Battalion roll states he died of shell wounds to his back and abdomen. There was no particular action on that day but 3 men were killed and 13 wounded, presumably by sporadic shelling

Mick Mills

Hi Mick,

This is fantastic thank you so much. It's nice to put his story alongside his name.

He certainly went through a heck of a lot.

I really appreciate you taking the time to research him for me.

Cheers,
Steve

It’s a pleasure. Yes he’d certainly been around the block

Mick