The Queen's Own Buffs Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

The Queen's Own Buffs Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Great Website

Hi,
What a great website, and I agree with the objects of your organisation. We should not throw away all the traditions, history and honour "The Buffs" and other local regiments have fought for over many many years of service to this country.

I was born in Canterbury and although I did not have the pleasure of serving in the Army, I have recently been tracing my family tree. My great uncle George Henry Luckhurst was a private in 1/4th Battalion of The Buffs. I found out he died on the 13/08/1917 and his name is on a memorial in Delhi.

Wanting to know more I visited the Army museum to see what the 1/4th were doing in Delhi at that time but the regimental history just says that they were used to bolster the 5th battalion in Mesopotamia and some were sent to the NW Frontier.

I even visited the Records office in Kew to see if i could find anything mentioned in the war diarys of the regiment. But again no success. However I have found a copy of "A diary of the First-Fourth from 1914-1919" written by and signed by R.E.Harbord. A fasinating read and it mentions my Grt Uncle dying of heat exshaustion while with the 1/25th London regiment while on field service near Tank NW Frontier.

It has brought me closer to him knowing how he died and I have really enjoyed researching his history. I will be putting together all my research so that other generations of my family will not forget the ultimate sacrific he made.

If any members need info on the 1/4th between 1914 & 1919 I would be happy to help as the Diary mentions names of soldiers who died whilst in service at that time.

Keep up the good work.....Veteri Frondescit Honore.

Re: Great Website

I was interested in your comments on the Buffs website. My great uncle died on the second day of the first battle for Ypres - 20 October 1914. I can't find out anything about him, even though I sent for his service record. It merely says "Killed in Action". His name Leonard Pyefinch, is on Ploegsteert Memorial but that is all I can find. He was in the East Kent Regiment. Could you help in any way please?

Re: Great Website

Hi Ian

I have just been reading you comment on the Buffs Message Forum. I am also researching a soldier in the 1/4 battalion who served in India 1914-1923. His name was Frederick Arthur Emery. I have been desperately searching for photographs and info of this battalion. Frederick did return home in 1923 and continued in Army Reserve B Section until 1927. I would be grateful if you have any more info on this battalion or Frederick.Although the outcome for your research is a sad one I am happy you were able to find the info you were seeking

Jeanette