General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
David Collings

I thought you all would want to know that yesterday morning (10/14) about 7:30 a.m., David was hit by a van while cycling in Franklin, Tn. on Liberty Pike. I think the sun must have blinded the driver momentarily, but his back wheel was struck dead center and sent him crashing. He is in Williamson Medical Center with 2 fractured verterbrae in his back, a T? and an L?...high and low. He said this morning that the he is waiting to be fitted with a brace and then will just have to go home and heal.
I think he is in pretty much pain, but not complaining.
Please keep him and his family in your prayers.

Re: David Collings

Thanks, Nancy. We will certainly remember David. Please keep us posted on his condition and if we can help him or his family in any way give us a post. Let him know we are keeping him in our thoughts and prayers. Lynn

So sad to hear this. Nancy, please give David my wishes for a speedy recovery. And David is in my prayers.
Cary

Re: Re: David Collings

I am so sorry to hear about David, Nancy. Thank you for letting everyone know. Please let him know he and his family are in our prayers. I pray for a complete and speedy recovery.
Dorothy

Re: David Collings update

Thanks for your words of sympathy. I will forward them to David.

Heard from another friend who saw him Sunday in the hospital that he has been fitted with a removeable hard plastic body cast and will probably go home today. I think the doctor said about 6 mos. to heal.

Nancy,

will you please email me David's address. I'de like to send him a card. Thanks!
Sarah

Email: bethw23@yahoo.com

Nancy,
I would appreciate David's address as well. My email is yhorn@comcast.net
Thanks so much.

me too. silovett@comcast.net

Re: Re: Re: David Collings

David's address is 6005 Woodland Hills Drive
Nashville, Tn. 37211

Thank you for your response and for keeping us up to date on David.

I just spoke with David on the phone and he is just now leaving the hospital, Tuesday at 9 p.m. He said he didn't start feeling better until about 4 this afternoon, but is doing much better now. Will not be back at work until at least this time next week. Will be in a removeable cast for 3 mos and no biking for 6 mos. Still he considers himself very lucky. He is very thankful for all your concern and I know he would love to hear from you.
Thanks, Nancy

You guys are more like a family than a bike club!!

I so much appreciate the well wishes.

Just to give a few gory details, hopefully some element uf useful information. Nancy and I were headed east on Liberty Pike just east of the Factory in Franklin, a nice open section, lightly travelled at 7:30AM, and I was a few yards ahead of her, doing about 15 MPH on the way up to Mack Hatcher. I am pretty sure I was in the correct place in the road. With no warning, I received a nice smack to the lower back and decided that getting up was not a good idea.

From what I can tell, the maind amage is sort of like whiplash (compression fractures in T12 and L2), since the only impact evidence is a little road rash on the knees and back of the left shoulder. Not even the helmes was hit. I don't know if a mirror would have helped, but possibly a backlight might have.

EMT people must have been there in less than 2 minutes.

I will be brace for 3 months and off the bike until next spring. You won't kick me out for non-attendance, will you?

I don't know what each of you do for a living, but the care I received from professionals and friends is a stong reminder of how we (I) ought to behave all the time, not just in times of stress.

Also a reminder of what blessings we all receive even when we don't think to ask for them.

Thanks

dc

Too bad you will miss my ride this weekend. Get well and we will see you when you get back.

Izzy,
Sorry, but I will miss your ride too. I have a weekend class, so I will be in class tonight and all day Saturday. I know it will be a good one and I will be thinking of you all having a terrific time while I am stuck in a classroom! Have fun and be safe!