General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: dire straits: bike buying advice sorely needed

really, $300. i haven't found that. where do you shop?

Re: dire straits: bike buying advice sorely needed

Ask the seller if you can take the bike to Murfreesboro Outdoorand Bike (MOAB) on N. Maple St. and let them check it out first. If the seller says no then do not buy it. MOAB can also check to see what size you need. You can get a good starter road bike for under a $1,000 new. Hope this helps.

Cary Way

I agree with Cary about taking the used bike to the shop and also about the cost of a new bike. I just wish to add that fit is very important. You will be miserable if the bike doesn't fit you properly. I suggest addressing fit with the folks at MOAB when you have them look at the used bike.

Re: Re: dire straits: bike buying advice sorely needed

Thank you all for the advice; keep it coming if you have anything to add. I am going to see the bike and see how it fits. As you suggest, I will try to take it in to a shop. Don't used bike prices go down based on mileage rather than age?

Re: Re: Re: dire straits: bike buying advice sorely needed

My bike was $900 brand new and all I've done with it is upgrade the wheels after 2 years. I've ridden races and centuries on that bike, and plan to do many more in the next year or so before I'll end up getting a nicer one.

You should be able to lay down even just $800 that'll get you a good bike plus leave some money for nice accessories.

Price depends on

Whatever the buyer or seller can negotiate. New it has a retail value. Used, whatever someone is willing to pay. Don't fall in love with it. Right not it's just a used bike that the current owner doesn't want anymore. Price shouldn't be anywhere near retail unless it's perfect FOR YOU & the seller knows it. Make sure it fits. Everything else can be fixed. Don't over pay else you'll always say "it's a nice bike but".

Re: Price depends on

Yes, all that is right. I saw the bike yesterday and it just didn't feel right, which I was actually glad of. After thinking more and more, I just didn't feel like spending so much. So... I'm still looking, but that's not a terrible place to be. Thanks, all.

hey megan, I got my trek 1500 at moab and it wasn't much more than the price of that used bike you looked at. I'm pretty happy with it. Hope you find the right one soon! Good luck with your search.