General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Blue Ridge Parkway

I am planning about a week long biking trip this summer and am considering the Blue Ridge Parkway. I was wondering if anyone has ridden this parkway or has a trip already planned out with camp areas and such.
thanks

-amerson

Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

Hey Amerson,
There's a great little book called "Bicycling the Blue Ridge" by Elizabeth and Charlie Skinner (ISBN 0-89732-301-7) It breaks the Parkway down by mileposts, gives the elevation changes, and gives lots of info about campsites, lodging, food outlets, and touring in general.You can follow their point to point plans or adapt it to fit your plans. It also includes the Skyline Drive at the northen end.
I haven't done this ride yet but its on my "to do" list!

Hope this helps,
Danita

I've done the Blue Ridge twice, both times self contained.Janey has gone once. If you start at the north end of Skyline Drive be prepared to climb all day!!! The book Yvonne mentioned is excellent but some of the restaurants/stores are closed since the book was published. Great riding though. I'll be glad to help with planning if you need some.

I've done the Blue Ridge twice, both times self contained.Janey has gone once. If you start at the north end of Skyline Drive be prepared to climb all day!!! The book Danita mentioned is excellent but some of the restaurants/stores are closed since the book was published. Great riding though. I'll be glad to help with planning if you need some.

I did the entire Parkway in 2003, starting on the north end. I did all motels, so several spots I had to exit the parkway to ride into town. I avg. 100 miles a day. The book mentioned is good but you will need to contact places to see if they are still in business. I have a copy of the book if you would like to borrow it. The parkway is a great ride.
Cary 893-0721