General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Advice for an inquiring mind

Kristen Wilkerson had a Schwin that she was wanting to sell last year after she purchased her new Trek. I will tell her to check out your posting on this message board if she still has it. Good Luck!

Go back to MOAB to see if they have any used bikes. I once picked up a great used GT there for someone. People trade in or sell very decent bikes to MOAB from time to time. You never know what they might have. Also, once you know what you want, there are sometimes good deals on ebay.

Good luck!!

Re: Re: Advice for an inquiring mind

Was that GT white/grey MTB?

Re: Re: Re: Advice for an inquiring mind

It was hot Red MTB!

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your responses. I'd be interested to know what you all think of this bike?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3663046

No Walmart

You will be better off buying used quality than new cheap. If you're walking, perhaps you can find loaner until you can buy.

Re: Re: Advice for an inquiring mind

I agree with the don't buy a bike from wal-mart, i made that mistake with a mountain bike once and regretted every second of owning of that bike.

With new bikes, your going to get what you pay for. You buy cheap, you get a cheap bike. I would suggest you find someone who has an older used road bike (yard sales, thrift stores, classifieds) and buy one cheap and make sure that a road bike is what you are looking for. Unless your going far distances, a mountain or hybrid bike will better suit the casual rider. By buying an older less expensive road bike you can get a feel for exactly what a road bike is intended for without shelling out the big bucks.

As far as the Denali, I found this on Amazon, it might be helpful:

The Denali is typical of mass produced, imported, department store bicycles. It will need some tinkering and adjustments, the extent of which will depend upon your experience, tools and desires. Most riders opting for this road bike will want to do things like true the wheels and adjust the brakes and derailleurs. They are close out of the box but need tweaking. Aesthetically, it is pretty with its anodized blue look, accented with black and silver stickers. The wheel stickers make the bike look expensive, but the metal name plates on the frame are a bit tacky and look like they're about to fall off (although you probably couldn't pry them off if you wanted to). Newer models don't have the name plates.

Problem areas on my Denali were the brake lever hoods (which began splitting after a few day's use), less than desired stopping power, and a bottom bracket lock ring that needed tightening. Installing upgraded levers with better hoods eliminated the splitting, and better brake pads improved the braking, although better calipers would help even more.

The ride is smooth, light and nimble, and the Revo grip shifters are excellent but take up a bit of top bar space. The seat is comfortable for a road bike, and the Denali pedals easily, making long rides a breeze. The kickstand is a welcomed addition (and removable for those who balk at kickstands).

If drop bars turn you off, a viable option would be to replace the stem and split road bar (needed to accommodate the grip shifters) and replace them with a 22.2mm mountain bike stem, flat handlebar and mountain bike brake levers, keeping the Revo shifters. This would involve installing new cables and grips and may be beyond the budget/capabilities of most riders, but what a wonderful, inexpensive hybrid you'd create!

If you're looking for a bicycle that's dialed in for you with personalized dealer support, go to a bicycle shop and be prepared to pay quite a bit more. If you want a true bargain, have some tools/experience and are willing to tinker, get the Denali. It's a hoot to ride!

If you need to replace shifters

If you need to replace shifters and pay to have the wheels trued and pay for a tune up, you could have bought a more expensive bike in the 1st place.