General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
recovery time

i managed to take a pretty innocent fall on my bike but my calf ended up landing on my chain ring. now i have 7 deep gouches and 2 minor ones starting at my ankle and moving halfway up my leg. i have banadaged them and i am recovering, but my calf is very stiff and sore, to the point were walking can be difficult at times.

i'm posting this information to see if anyone has any suggestions on helping to speed recovery. i don't think i could ride, as walking is a little troubled, but i would like to return to the bike as soon as possible.

i'm currently just attempting calf stretches, but i don't want to do anything that will aggrevate the problem. the stretching at this point is fairly painful. i figured someone on this board might have either some web links, or some helpful suggestions.

Re: recovery time

I pretty much have a chainring tattoo from all the times I've "gotten" myself, but never had it prevent me from riding. Prevent being "too painful" and not in a "be a man" sort of way. Mostly superficial cuts in my case.

Chainring cuts are typically puncture wounds, if you've not had a Tetanus shot in a while, you might want to see a doctor. Also, if the wounds are red and inflamed, you might want to seek medical care.

The soreness could also be from a strained/sprained muscle and not be directly related to the cuts.

Moral of my story: better safe than sorry, check with your doctor.

Re: recovery time

check with the DOC, esp if you don't have active Tetanus!!!
Ice, Compression, Elevation -->for any traumatic injury. And as a Rule of Thumb: first 100hours --> ice it.
the actual abbreviation is RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation),but I usually ignore "rest" if the pain is sustanable and not very important structure is injured. It's totaly up to you.
Check with the MD,
Good luck,
Olga