General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking for a mountain bike

Hey
I'm looking to buy a new or used mountain bike (I think I need a small) if anyone has one for sale. I would appreciate any advice on what to look for. I know I want full suspension. I miss the road biking. I bought a trainer, but it's not the same!
Thanks! Chris King

Re: Looking for a mountain bike

If you are wanting full suspension, I'd recommend trying to find a Santa Cruz Juliana.

juliana

Re: Looking for a mountain bike

Guess it would probably be helpful to post "why" huh?

The top three full suspension bikes I've seen at both XC races and endurance events the last 2 years have been:
1. Santa Cruz Blur
2. Specialized FSR
3. Trek Fuel

All three are good performers and offer different levels of plushness (aka how much travel and how soft the ride is) as well as different versions to fit any budget.

The Blur is pretty much the standard for full suspension performance bikes, it's lighter sibling is the Superlight, which was then tuned for women specific riders, creating the Juliana. It's a proven design and a proven bike. I've talked to a lot of women riders that love the bike, so to me it seems like a safe bet for most. Although a Blur would be good too, if it fits properly.

I'd swing by Moab and ask them to try some of the models they have just so you can see the differences. As with most things there are tons of options. Such as dual pivot, single pivot, bushings vs bearings, 3 inches vs 4 inches vs 5 inches, lock outs vs propedal, and on and on.

Kona also has a new women's full suspension out now and Gary Fisher has an updated Cake specifically for women. Both got good reviews in recent Dirt Rags.

Moab carries the Trek, Santa Cruz, Fisher, and Kona lines. Harpeth Bicycles (ask for Henry) has Kona, and Franklin Bikes has Specialized and Cannondale (ask for Eli)

Re: Re: Looking for a mountain bike

Thad,
Thanks for all the great information. I can tell you must be an expert in mountain biking. I've only been out a few times and thought it was a lot of fun. The Long Hunter MB Festival was neat if anyone did not attend this year. I guess I could challenge y'all in the bike throwing contest next year. Ha Ha I was forced to do it!! I plan on checking with MOAB, REI etc. and another guy told me to check a place at Opry Mills Mall. Of course finding a really nice used one would be even better. Thanks again! Chris

Re: Re: Re: Looking for a mountain bike

Yes Chris, Master Thad is an expert. He is doing very well with his racing.