General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Website Host

It is time we look into another website host. I can't read or reply or post emails with out a great amount of hassle from the pop-ups (some of which will not close!) This is frustrating and I don't like it.

Re: New Website Host

Yes, and I have to enter a code everytime I want to post. I don't know anything about it, but I can deal with it if it is free. It would be good to have a better one if possible.

Re: New Website Host/patience

We all have been frustated by the pop-up ads that have in recent time invaded our website, I assume by design. I will ask our web-master to explore other host possiblities.
I will keep you posted of our progress.

Cary

Re: Re: New Website Host/patience

Thanks Cary I will await (patiently) the outcome of the research.

Re: Re: New Website Host/patience

Hello all,

The nasty little pop-up ads are frustrating and I feel your pain!

Here are our options as I see them:

1. We can continue to use the free service (and be patient). Hitting the refresh key after the advertisement loads will get rid of it. Also everyone should have a pop-up blocker by now?
2. Keep our present service but upgrade to the pro version. I checked and it is cheaper than you might think @$54.95 a year. This will get rid of all advertisements and give us unlimited posts.
3. Find another free service. Oh, by the way, with pop-ups!
4. Open an account with Yahoo Groups. It’s free, doesn’t have ads but will work a little different from the forum we have now and members will have to join.

Hope this info is useful and if anyone has suggestions please let me know. Cary, let me know what you think (steve-mac@comcast.net)?

Re: Re: Re: New Website Host/patience

Thanks Steve, you are smart and cute even thought you are A.B. too

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Website Host/patience

As much as the club uses the site now, I am not opposed to paying $5 more per year (family memb.) $3 (individual memb.) for the version without pop ups. We have a pop up blocker, but it simply does not get all of them or the pop up people have found a way around the blocks.

Re: Smart & Cute AB

Thanks Lynn,

I think?

Smart and Cute AB

Thanks to you, Lynn, I have been able to call Steve an Arrogant *******. Endearingly, of course!

Re: Re: Re: New Website Host/patience

FWIW, I'd opt for paying for the upgrade of the current site. $54 is chump change, and it would avoid the pain of migrating to yet another site.

Yep, the basic business model for all hosting sites is to generate income from either the ads or subsciption fees. It does seem that some sites are much more invasive/agressive about putting those ads up in your face if you opt for the 'free' service.

Steve - if we do decide to move, you might take a look at Network54. I participate in a board hosted there, and it works pretty well.

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Website Host/patience

Ed,

Thank you for your response! You are exactly right, it is chump change so I have upgraded the club's account to the Pro version (with majority approval from the officers).

Hope everyone agrees,

Steve

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Website Host/thanks

Thanks Steve,

I just checked-in to see what was new, hand on mouse ready to zap that tiny "x", and wow, no pop-ups.
Much better, although I still need my bifocals for that code thingy . Thanks to you too Dorothy for getting things rolling.
Have a great Thanksgiving everyone.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Website Host/thanks

Thank you Steve!!Thank you Thank!!!You are the Most AB!

AB Pop Up to Come...

Watch Out!
Don't be fooled so quickly about the escaping the pop ups.
I foresee a great big huge pop up coming on...

It has a large screen covering picture of Steve the "AB" and a bold slogan stating... "You're Not Worthy!"

How's that for cute and smart? Tee Hee!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Website Host/patience

Wow! What a difference. It's like coming onto a stretch of sealed asphalt after 20 miles of chip'n'tar.

Thanks, Steve! Thanks, officers!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Website Host/patience

Bless you A.B. and officers. This is GREAT. I love it. Actually Danita it was Lynn and Ed that got it rolling and I just chimed in a little later!