General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dogs on the road

Tim, you can report aggressive dogs to PAWS #615-898-7740. Make sure you have the address when reporting.

Hey Tom - many folks wear a whistle around their neck. Some carry pepper spray - but that can be dangerous to you or your ride partner if it's windy.

Personally, I use two approaches - if tails are wagging - I generally sweet talk them and most respond favorably to that. If they seem aggressive - a good firm "NO" works but sometimes I can confuse them by yelling "Get off the couch" -

When all else fails - doggy intervals until my heart explodes.

Both Rutherford County Paws (see number that Keith Posted) and the Bedford County Animal Control (931) 685-1130 are very responsive.

Stay safe out there!

Tom I have found a good squirt from your water bottle in their face when they get close startles them enough where they back off momentarily. you may have to squirt them a few times but it's harmless and pretty effective.

Above are all great tips that will work except for the most aggressive/persistent dogs. For these the carrot isn't enough and you have to resort to the stick.

My personal favorite is to let them get close enough, unclip, then give them a swift kick in the chops while spitting on them (being mindful of riding mates). You have to remember that If their dog is barking the owner is most likely peeking out the blinds enjoying the show. They could care less if Fido drops your leg on their door stoop, but returning to the house with your spit on them... Degrading.

Occasionally they'll still keep coming at you. This is where I dismount, use the bike as a shield, yell loudly, and CHARGE AT THEM KICKING. In fifty years of riding I've not had one fail to retreat. Coming at them seems to change up the game and really confuse/scare them. You can't show them fear, they'll sense that.

If the owner is within earshot I'll remind them that lawsuits can be very costly (the stick).
I have never had to use it, but, I've found the mere threat seems to focus their minds on the problem.

Okay... "The Final Solution"... Several of my riding mates ride "packing". 22 pistol with bird shot rounds. Tucked in the Jersey Pocket or even in a holster attached to the head tube. Most of them have occasionally had to stop and have conversations with dog owners that observe the attack. But they've never had a
to draw down on an owner... as far as I know.

I use snap bangs which can be purchased from Amazon. They startle and distract the dog(s). I keep them in a small bag on the top tube of my bike. Dog bites are no fun!

Hi - I'm new here but have been riding a number of years and have encountered hundreds (maybe thousands?) of chasing dogs. I've also done some dog performance training. One thing to remember about dogs is they're hard-wired to chase things; Cats, deer, sheep, cars, bikes - Anything that will run away. Also remember that dogs are hierarchical pack animals. There's a well-defined pecking order between dogs - and between the dogs and their people. Many times the most aggressive dogs are the ones who are at/near the top of this pecking order. They are not often challenged without claiming their dominance. These individual dogs as a result aren't always sure how to handle someone being confidently aggressive 'toward' them. Dogs are EXTREMELY perceptive of the most subtle of human behavior, way more than us humans realize. Their attention to non-verbal signals and reaction time to those signals is astoundingly quick. Even while they're running wide-open.

With that said, one way to address an overly-aggressive dog (If it's SAFE to do so!) Is to counter their aggression by riding TOWARD them, which momentarily confuses their expectation of being the 'chaser' and not the 'chase-ee'. This could be as subtle as crowding them off the side of the road if running next you, or as aggressive as riding right at them (you won't hit them, they're too quick). Either way, if you aren't strong enough to outride a dog's speed, then a confident/aggressive line will usually move them out to a safer distance. The key is to be confident and never ride 'away' from a dog (or out into traffic!). Hold your line at minimum. They will usually pick up on this confidence and act accordingly, as they're expecting you to run away.

The most dangerous dog is one that doesn't see you and moves into your path. Be extremely cautious of those. The only dog I've ever hit was chasing a mail truck in front of me. It didn't know I was approaching and turned left into my path just as I passed. Fortunately I'd slowed to maybe a jogging speed and no harm was done.

Hope that helps.