General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Gatlinburg area route recommendations?

That's funny Mark. On the link you sent me you can search for Gatlinburg and there are some routes listed.

The Foothills Parkway is my favorite ride in the area. The new section in Wears Valley is now open making it even better.

Thanks Wiz. Got a ride with GPS route?

No GPS for me. The Foothills Parkway is accessible in the middle of Wear Valley off HWY 321 or west of Walland on the same Hwy. It is and out and back ride for a distance of your own choosing.

BRAT went through there several years ago.

We camped downtown. There may be routes already on RWGPS. There may also be at least a group that gets together even if there isn't a club.

I have been over there a little, long ago.

The little river road from the Sugarlands to Townsend is pretty.

The road from the "Y" over to Cades Cove and the Cades Cove loop used to be nice. (35 years ago). I think auto traffic is disallowed at certain times.

The Cherokee Orchard loop in town was interesting, not too long.

I rode from Sugarlands up to Newfound Gap once, but you need to choose a time with less traffic. The coast down was a blast. No pedaling for miles and miles. Had to stop for a bear photo op.

The Maryland club hosts a Tour de Blount that went into Townsend. You might find the route on the web.