General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A couple more

As a retired rider that rode many pacelines (fast and slow) for 25 years, I'd like to add a couple of items we always felt compelled to use when coaching new folks that were learning paceline safety:
Be predictable--That means following all of the guidelines listed in the main post, and execute them purposefully. We once had a person join our group who was a fast, strong rider, but when they finished their pull, they would pull off violently without warning to the left. Not only was it startling, but one couldn't tell if they were suddenly avoiding an obstacle or just pulling off. Riding behind this person was nerve-wracking.

Never stop pedaling--While in any position except last in line, always keep your pedals moving. When you suddenly stop pedaling, the person following you can only assume you're about to brake. If you're getting too close to the wheel in front, pull off slightly into the wind or just soft- pedal to slow yourself. Even when braking, feather brakes, but keep soft-pedaling.

Ride safely, folks. I miss all of you!

bildini

Ah. The dreaded 12345 Coooooast, 12345 Coooooast method.

Bill C great to hear from you!!!! Miss the guy who got me my first Bianchi! :-)

Re: Paceline Rules -- PBC Riders Please Read

Thanks for posting Mark. Couldn’t agree more.

I totally agree.... It's about group Safety and working together.

This is all very good and timely stuff, but speed seems to be the real issue. So, here's the solution for you speedy fast boys: Come to the Poker Run/Scavenger Hunt/Ice Cream Fest this Sunday (Aug 5) afternoon - as posted on the Ride Calendar and elsewhere here on the Message Board. If you eat enough ice cream you won't be the speedy fast boys any more. Problem solved. You're welcome.

Great PSA Mark!

I've learned a lot over the few short years of my riding career with the coaching of my PBC team. :-) The most important I think is that pace line riding is a TEAM effort and every move I make has an impact on the riders around me. So I try to remember these 3 key points:

1. Respect and protect my team. Be aware!

2. Stay Steady - consistent pace, no surging.

3. Hold My Line - No weeble wobbling all over the place and stay in my line

I agree Jay it is about group safety. I think we need to talk about stop signs. I have seen some really dangerous riding thru stop signs with total disregard to the whole group.

I agree