General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Paceline Rules -- PBC Riders Please Read

We have had a growing number of concerns expressed from many of our experienced riders regarding the safety and paceline etiquette of our fast Tuesday/Thursday PBC rides and the fast group on multiple weekend club rides. As co-ride leader for the PBC rides, I’d like to apologize that we haven’t more quickly addressed the issues, but I’d like to assure everyone that we are now doing so, and will continue to do so as necessary.

-Club leadership is reaching out directly to rider(s) that have generated repeat concerns.

-I’ve asked our long-standing participants in the faster rides to take a more active role in calling out significant issues as they happen. We’re not looking to nit-pick every minor issue, but to address persistent or particularly dangerous issues.

-Below is a set of paceline safety and etiquette rules that I copied from the Harpeth Bike Club website several years ago, with a few updates. It may not be a perfect, but I think it is a good general list of do’s and don’ts that are worth an occasional reminder to all of us.

Thanks to all of the riders that have been coming out to PBC for many years of safe riding. All are welcome, but we ask that everyone keep safety as their #1 priority, and part of being safe is being predictable and following our established group norms.

Safety

* Never overlap wheels. Always ride 1-2 feet behind the rider ahead of you, or ride exactly beside the other rider. If you overlap wheels and the rider you are following moves and hits your wheel, the person in back will crash, and put everyone behind at risk of a crash.

* Poor paceline riding skills have a ripple effect through the paceline, getting progressively worse towards the back of a line. Do not just think about those in front of you, but think about the impact of your riding on those that are behind you.

* When standing, don't throw your bike back. You may hit the rider behind you.

* If you contact wheels, turn your wheel towards the wheel of the rider in front. If you turn away you will go down quickly.

* If your handlebars or bodies touch a rider next to you, don't turn away; relax and keep your bike straight.

* Don't make any sudden moves.

* Look at the middle of the rider's back in front of you and toward the front of the paceline. Do not stare at the wheel in front of you. If you stare at the wheel you can't react to things around you.

* There are three lanes to every road. (the two tire marks and the oil slick in the middle). The law indicates we ride no more than two abreast, but the lanes still apply, even in cornering.

* Don't ride too close to the edge of the road, Leave a ~foot to the right side when possible.

* In a double paceline, maintain consistent spacing with the other riders. If you are 3rd in your line, you should be riding beside the 3rd person in the other line.

* Don’t use your aerobars in a paceline. Save them for a solo ride or time trial.

General Paceline Etiquette

* New riders should spend time at the back of the paceline during their first several rides. Watch how other riders handle the paceline and emulate those that do it well.

* Ride at an even speed (constant effort).

* Try not to use your brakes. Sit up or move out of the draft some to catch some air to slow your speed.

* If you must brake, feather your rear brake to slow you smoothly.

* Don't open gaps! Keep the paceline tight.

* If someone accelerates to open a gap, do not jump to close the gap. Instead, close it slowly, the riders behind you will appreciate it.

* When re-entering the paceline from the back, begin pedaling when about 2 or three riders from the back to increase your speed and move smoothly into the line. Don't wait until you're at the back. If you wait, you'll have to jump to catch the group.

* When you are the last rider, it's always courteous to state 'last rider' to the person coming after you. The longer the group, the more this is appreciated.

* If you are too tired or weak to do your turn at the front of the paceline, don’t pull at the front. Just rotate smoothly through without disrupting the group's pace. Then sit at the back about 1 bike length and let others fill in the space.

* Learn to trust the wheel in front of you and ride that track. Too often riders will sit off to one side or another. This makes the pace line inefficient and look ragged.

Pulling / Leading the Paceline

* Use caution at intersections. Make other riders aware of any cross traffic conditions.

* Point out, call out, or steer the group around obstacles on the road.

* Do NOT accelerate when you take the lead – maintain your speed to keep the paceline smooth. Any increase in speed should be done gradually, after sufficient time to allow the prior leader to rejoin the paceline.

* Do not coast or soft pedal at the front of a paceline. This is important even on downhills, since the riders behind you will be coasting faster due to the draft.

* Pat your behind or wiggle your arm to signal that you are moving off the front. The arm that you wiggle indicates the side that you wish the following riders to pass you on.

* Keep pedaling as you move off the front. Don't stop or slow your cadence until the following rider has begun to pull through.

* Don't pull too hard at the front. Save enough energy to get back on the paceline.

Re: Paceline Rules -- PBC Riders Please Read

Thanks for posting this. We all can use a reminder. Couldn’t agree more that safety is the top priority and it starts with following rules like these.

Re: A couple more

As a retired rider that rode many pacelines (fast and slow) for 25 years, I'd like to add a couple of items we always felt compelled to use when coaching new folks that were learning paceline safety:
Be predictable--That means following all of the guidelines listed in the main post, and execute them purposefully. We once had a person join our group who was a fast, strong rider, but when they finished their pull, they would pull off violently without warning to the left. Not only was it startling, but one couldn't tell if they were suddenly avoiding an obstacle or just pulling off. Riding behind this person was nerve-wracking.

Never stop pedaling--While in any position except last in line, always keep your pedals moving. When you suddenly stop pedaling, the person following you can only assume you're about to brake. If you're getting too close to the wheel in front, pull off slightly into the wind or just soft- pedal to slow yourself. Even when braking, feather brakes, but keep soft-pedaling.

Ride safely, folks. I miss all of you!

bildini

Ah. The dreaded 12345 Coooooast, 12345 Coooooast method.

Bill C great to hear from you!!!! Miss the guy who got me my first Bianchi! :-)

Thanks for posting Mark. Couldn’t agree more.

I totally agree.... It's about group Safety and working together.

This is all very good and timely stuff, but speed seems to be the real issue. So, here's the solution for you speedy fast boys: Come to the Poker Run/Scavenger Hunt/Ice Cream Fest this Sunday (Aug 5) afternoon - as posted on the Ride Calendar and elsewhere here on the Message Board. If you eat enough ice cream you won't be the speedy fast boys any more. Problem solved. You're welcome.

Great PSA Mark!

I've learned a lot over the few short years of my riding career with the coaching of my PBC team. :-) The most important I think is that pace line riding is a TEAM effort and every move I make has an impact on the riders around me. So I try to remember these 3 key points:

1. Respect and protect my team. Be aware!

2. Stay Steady - consistent pace, no surging.

3. Hold My Line - No weeble wobbling all over the place and stay in my line

I agree Jay it is about group safety. I think we need to talk about stop signs. I have seen some really dangerous riding thru stop signs with total disregard to the whole group.

I agree