General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Saturday Ride - 8:00 a.m. Woodbury Square

The ride leaves from the Woodbury Public Square. The Courthouse restrooms will be available when the doors open shortly before 8:00 a.m. There are ample hydration opportunities in Liberty, Alexandria and Auburntown. The route may vary a little from the published route depending on the low water crossing at Round Top, and the substitution of the newly paved Hurricane Creek Road to the return route. Juan, Bobbie and I took an unplanned bath together once at the Round Top crossing. We will avoid another communal washing. Scouts and pickets will provide current intelligence at the start of the ride. Mom plans to have brownies in Alexandria.

Just in case: Those coming from Murfreesboro may want to allow a little extra time to get to downtown Woodbury Saturday morning. There is road construction going on the main road through Woodbury. (They're grinding and resurfacing the road from curb to curb.) Early on a Saturday morning, it shouldn't hold you up much.

Looking forward to the ride!!:sunglasses: :bicyclist:

I'll see you in the morning Keith

The heat was a big issue. Amy the Sag Angel came to the rescue and hauled 4 riders in. Kasie Corley is being seen in the Woobbury ER for heat issues. She bailed at mile 16. She will be released. This is a better ride in the Spring or Fall. A casualty rate approaching 30% is too high for the modern era.

Mike, before I saw your comments about the attrition rate, I was going to try to nominate this for "best MBC tour".

The first climb was early in the cool; the descents were long and easy; the roads were gentle and shady; the views were beautiful; the ice water at mile 24; the brownies and ice water and lemonade your wonderful parents provided on the shady patio.

That is not to mention the historical narrative.

Please keep it in your pocket for a repeat sometime.

dc

Glad everyone returned safe! Thanks to the SAG Angel for rescuing the 4 riders! I agree with David, that is a great route to be enjoyed in the Fall or Spring time. Mike, after I left you I did return to Woodbury via Dog Dip Hollow Road. Got chased by some big dogs but luckily had gotten enough of a start to escape. Then I heard gunshots ahead, thought I was headed straight into some sort of crossfire, unbeknownst to me someone built an outdoor shooting range on that road!

Keith, all that shooting was from a campaign for Congress event Judd Matheny held at the shooting range Saturday. A conservative like yourself was in no danger. Thanks for the cell phone assistance when I needed it.

I managed to get home and shower. My wife and I then went out to dinner. I had Coke, steak and potatoes, and a few bites of her pasta dish. I'm really tired but I feel better now after the food. Thanks so much again for the SAG help and bless that stranger (whose name I never got) for helping me when he did. I was getting too close to needing medical attention at that point. Should have just jumped in the creek way back up the road and called it day right then.

Agree that the route has some really beautiful scenery. It's just too long and difficult for some of us on such a warm day.

We can roll this again this year if you want.

Perhaps in September or October when it's cooler.