General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Something FUN!!!

Eric you are on the right track. Your speed and distance are actually really good for just starting out. When I started I rode a mile around the neighborhood, then did 2 loops for 2 miles after a week increasing it slowly venturing out on different roads in the area until I could ride over to the Greenway and did an out and back there. If I remember correctly from those who mentored me the rule is to increase your ride distance about 10% after 2 weeks. So glad you decided to bike. Keep up the good work and be sure and drink water before, during and after the ride. Good Luck and be sure you wear that helmet...it does save lives.

Dorothy,

Thanks for the information!

Absolutely on the helmet. I've ridden motorcycles for years, so I feel a little weird when I don't have one on and I'm on 2 wheels.

My original goal was to ride from my house to the store a mile down the road from me and back. I changed that because I thought 2 miles was probably a bit long for my level of fitness. And that is on a highway and I didn't want to be out w/ fast moving traffic while I was getting in the saddle.

This afternoon I plan on riding the route I did yesterday in hopes that it will be a little easier today.

My parents bought me a 10speed when I was in 2nd grade for Christmas. I rode that bike all the time. I rode that bike for a number of years (pedaling w/ my toes for a year because it was to big for me).

I haven't ridden a bike in 30 years now, so I'm learning all over again. Although a lot of it comes back fast, it is like a new experience.

I am enjoying it so far, not sure my legs would agree with me though

Hang in there Eric it will HAPPEN. 8 years ago I was out of shape over weight and could barley ride 5 miles. I have lost 55 lbs and did a 863 mile ride in Florida this past Feb. Just ride ride ride and you will see the lbs fall off.Check into the Comfort Zone rides they are a good way to get started and you will not be left behind.