General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Saturday Ride to Beersheba and Altamont

If there is any interest, I will lead a 55 miler from the Warren County Courthouse in downtown McMinnville Saturday 9:30 A.M. to Beersheba Springs, Altamont, Viola and back. The country is rolling with one excellent mountain climb up HWY 56 into Beersheba Springs. We will take a brief tour through the historic resort which accomodated the real Wizzard and his men prior to the Murfreesboro Raid. We will also pass by the summer home of General Leonidas Polk who was killed outside Atlanta in 1864. The roads to be used are Hwy 56 to Altamont, Hwy 108 to Viola, and county roads back into McMinnville. There is a store stop at the halfway point in Altamont with others available. There is no GPS reception in Grundy County so I have no reference for the techies.

The trip will not make unless at least one other soul posts their intention to ride.

Re: Saturday Ride to Beersheba and Altamont

Mike I would very much like to do it BUT I will be in Texas for THW. Do post more rides down in your area as I want to do some this spring & summer. Already planning the Natchez Trace ride for Oct2014.Thinking about down and back 888 Miles. Keep the rubber side down.

Hey Mike, I'm in if you are still inclined to do this ride.

Come on Henry. The is ride on. There are one or two locals coming. You will enjoy the change of scenery.

Sounds good, I'll just have to find the start point. See you tomorrow.

Is the Warren County Courthouse on Main Street?

Yes, it is surrounded by church steeples on the central town square.

thanks!

Thanks Mike, for a great ride out of McMinnville. Everything I plugged into put us at over 4,000 feet of climbing but it was beautiful! Also, for a mountain that was great, usually between 4-6% with a couple of 8% in there but really, some of the rollers afterward were steeper. The scenery was great, especially at lookout at the Methodist resort on top of Mt. Beersheba (or whatever) Too bad Paul didn't have more battery for his camera.

The barbecue afterwards capped it off.

This needs to be a club ride!