General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Edge 605 Help

I have decided to buy myself an Edge 605. I have a question I hope someone can answer for me. The Garmin site shows a street map, however, I found one review on the web that states you have to buy a mapping software on a micro-SD to get that functionality. First, is that true? And if so, what product is recommended? Also, if I use ridewithgps.com and follow routes I have created, do I still need separate mapping software or does it load a street map for me when I download the map to the Edge? Thanks in advance.

Re: Edge 605 Help

Jason,

You need the micro-SD card (City Maps) to get the mapping functionality. It comes with some versions of the Edge 605. Just check the one that you are buying to make sure it is included. The price difference between the 605 with and without the card is probably around $100.

If you don't need a map on the computer, you can still download routes from Ride With GPS, but in a different format (called .tcx). With a .tcx file though, you only get a breadcrumb trail to follow...there would be no actual map and no street names. At that point, you'd be just as well off with the cheaper Edge 205 or Edge 305, or even the Edge 500 -- none of which offer maps, but all of which offer the breadcrumb trail.

If you can afford it, spend the extra to get the included micro-SD card for the 605, or save your money and downgrade to the 205 or 305. If you can afford even more, the Edge 705 adds wireless functionality for a speed/cadence sensor, heart rate monitor, and allows you to wirelessly beam routes to other 705 users. A growing number of us in the club (maybe 10 or so now) use the 705. There's a new 800 out as well, but it doesn't allow wireless beaming of routes.

Good luck.

Thanks Mark! Your info is very helpful. Walmart.com has the 605 listed for $329 and Garmin has the SD card listed for $79. I can find the SD cheaper on Ebay as well. I think the 705 sounds neat, and I ride with a large group of folks here in Tullahoma, but I don't think any of them use the 705. I think the beaming functionality would be great but not utilized. Although the HRM would be helpful as well. More decisions.....

Jason - Martha and I got a 605 a little over a year ago for unsupported touring and out of town rides on unfamiliar roads. We have been very pleased with it (although their tutorials are worthless - but Mark B. is THE MAN). A nice bonus has been using it on local club rides. Actually wish I had spent just a little more and got the 705 for that wireless beaming thing which is pretty handy when you just show up for the club ride without preloading the route and find someone with another 705 to beam with. From what I can tell, GPS is the biggest thing to hit cycling since brifters. Every ride last year, seems like someone showed up with their new GPS. Prices are coming down. They'll be like our cycling computers before long - everyone will have one. Get the 705. You'll put the lust on your buddies and have someone to beam with before you know it.

REI has the 605 bundle. SD card included for 299. Check it out!

There is a 705 on Amazon with the cadence, heart rate and SD card with street maps for $499.99. Maybe it's time I got one.