General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
event planning

Bear with me, but I want to tell this tale to demonstrate how great the folks are that volunteer to organize bike events. I’m originally from Gallatin and a friend still there gave my name to a couple of ladies with the new library fund-raising committee who were planning a bike event in Gallatin. He told them I had some experience as a past HOT 100 director and that I could offer some guidance. Of course I was glad to help, but really had to rack my brain to think of all the tasks and prep that it takes to organize a ride correctly because it’s been too long for me to remember it all. After a week I sent my 3 pages of notes to them including MBC’s ride director’s name as a source for more current information and mailing lists if they needed. Mysteriously, I never heard anything from them, not even a thanks.

A month or so later, I saw my Gallatin friend and asked if he’d heard anymore about the event planning. It really didn’t surprise me when he said, ”Oh, it’s cancelled.” He said one of the ladies brought my notes to the other one and said, “Look at all we have to do! Port-a-potties—eeeeew!” These nice folks seriously thought they could just announce they were having a benefit bike ride with “Just show up, pay us $30, here’s a map, have a nice ride!” Too bad; I was really looking forward to riding in my hometown.

I write this just to let all you volunteers know that what you do takes a lot of effort and that you do it so well. Thank you!

Re: event planning

Bill, I so much appreciate you sharing this. Sarah will chime in, I'm sure. But we have requests about fund-raising with bike rides frequently and you are so right. They have no idea what is involved. Thank you and all the others who make our rides a success every year!!

Re: event planning

The HOT could never happen without all of the volunteers.

And thank you Bill et al, for the ground work you set all those years ago. The 20th Anniversary is really a celebration of volunterism at it's finest.