General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Saturday August 8 Ride Woodbury to Viola

The Cannon County Posse will lead Saturday's ride at 7:30 a.m. from my home on 210 College Street, Woodbury, Tenn. This 60 miler has several features:
1. The Viola Valley Homecoming will be underway.
2. Only one climb, Manchester Hwy, early in the ride
3. Mostly county roads on 28 mile trip to Viola
4. Mostly fast three digit State Roads on return for the men and women in a hurry
5. A swimming opportunity at mile 48. We may need it.
6. A good decent down River Road following the swim.
7. Beautiful farming country on the way over through the Barrens
8. There at least four stores or beer joints on the total route.
9. A map will be provided for those who wish to modify the ride.
10. Route will traverse Iconium,Oak Grove, Trousdale, Morrison, Viola, back to Morrison by different road, Jacksboro, Centertown, Bratchers Crossroads, Blues Hill, Short Mtn, Prater, and Woodbury
Park in front of the Library and my house on College Street. Bathroom will be available. From Murfreesboro travel John Bragg Hwy into Woodbury. The second traffic light is College Street. Turn right and 210 College Street is on the right in approximately 500 feet. If you reach the Public Square, you traveled too far and missed the turn to College Street. Telephone is 615.563.2750. I plan to regroup on the way over because the route is complex. On the way back you can hammer home.

Re: Saturday August 8 Ride Woodbury to Viola

Cool this will be great for my longest ride this year! Just ignore my pink polk-a-dots!

I look foward to seeing you in pink.

What about the short Mnt challange, can that be an add option?

Gil, you are hereby deputized to lead any hardy souls who wish to make an assent of Short Mountain following our swim break.

We'll swing out through Red Hill and meet yall at Oak Grove, pretty much follow to Morrison* and Viola, then find our way back back up through Pocahontas and Ivy Bluff to Mooretown.

*(I'll run my route rather than get on Jacksboro Rd.)

>>unless somebody wants to go mountain biking<<

as i have one of those scheduled.

I am going to meet the group at Oak Grove as well, but will coming by automobile.

We hope all the mountain bikers come with us. We may even arrive in time to be in the Viola parade. I don't like the Jacksboro Road either but it seems to be the best way over to the River Road, but I would entertain other suggestions if you have any.

it's just a shame that Hills Creek is so rough.

and it's real clunky discussing route options w/o a map between us.

i just re-routed part of my normal route to morrison to eliminate a couple of miles of jacksboro.

i go down ivy bluff trail, onto smoot, then left at caney branch instead of right--crossing jacksboro onto ?(hoover) and then right at the four-way which takes one into morrison.

the house of dogs on twixt the curves on smoot has now corralled the canines who used to litter the roadway. they weren't aggressive, but were numerous.

the old farmhouse on ivy bluff trail where dozens of dogs used to run out, has a lesser population now-but i've only been by there once for a dog training session.

the very fast cattle dog just before bertha owens has been mia all year.

mr. jones of the jones farm--just after bertha owens is a nice guy, but had a dog out the last time i went by--which was a first ever. it chased on the outbound, but stayed glued to the porch on my return.

wp

Those are good suggestions that I will use on the way back out of Morrison. I have not had traffic issues on Jacksboro on Saturday mornings. Would you consider meeting us at the Red Hill Church of Christ? I think Amy might become disoriented trying to find Oak Grove.

oh, i had assumed yall would be coming down ivy bluff trail by cutting across bogle-scott road from pleasant view. but if'n you're coming eugene reed and up bullpen creek to red hill, then it's a no-brainer. red hill church is 'zactly 3 miles from where i now sit.

isat the route? don't let me shenagle the route. i just know that you're going from north to south and i'll run east to meet the ride.

The Scott brothers will be there. I'm looking forward to meeting new and interesting dogs. Can I consider trying to outrun dogs as interval training?

The most interesting dog encounter will win my Pit Bull tee-shirt.

Nevermind, the Scott brothers will not make it after all.

I am so excited about this ride! It will be great to see everyone again after being away too long!

THANKS!

Thanks, Mike and Amy for a great ride -- being in Viola today made me feel like I'd really gotten away from the daily grind, and I got to see roads and places I'd never seen.

Thanks, Gil for fixing my tire and Travis for truing my wheel... I wouldn't have made it home without you!

Re: THANKS!

Great route today Mike.....thanks!!!! Looking at those "muscle cars" from the 60's & 70's at the festival in Viola was like taking a trip back in time.
I enjoyed the whole ride.

Ditto Hollie's thanks. Fun ride, Mike! (I can say that now that I have been off the bike for a few hours)

Thanks to Mike and Amy for hosting todays ride! Viola was like a step back in time,and that ain't bad!I do understand why the "Cannon County Posse" rides "armed".That had to be the "doggiest" ride I have ever been on.Who won the the doggy shirt? Thanks again Mike and Amy,Chris P.S.Did you see my Message at the swimming hole?

Kudos to Mike & Amy....GREAT route....the gatorade at the lakes hit the spot....on my od the 60 stretched to 70!!! We wondered what happened to Hollie & Travis...Thanks again!!!

Wade won the tee shirt for sending the hounds back to the house on multiple occasions. He can pick it up from Steve L. I saw my thank-you card in the sand. You should have stayed at the swimming hole to see Amy climb the wall and jump on the trampoline.

It was a great ride and a good day to be out with friends! Thanks for putting the ride together Mike, and especially thank your friend for allowing us to cool off in his lake! Perfect timing!

Photos of Saturday August 8 Ride Woodbury to Viola

Wade does seem to have the hounds of the Woodbury area very well trained!I need to learn more about his training methods.