General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bicycle Ban Gaining Momentum - LETS GET BEHIND THIS!!

I'll send an email over the weekend and call on Monday.

Sample Letter -

I emailed this to those listed here:http://www.capitol.tn.gov/House/committees/sub-rr.html

To my Honorable State Representatives, State Senators, and Rural Roads House Subcommittee,

I would like to express my concerns regarding the House Bill 0342 and Senate Bill 0276 as introduced to prohibit the operation of bicycles on River Road in Davidson County between U.S. Highway 70 / S.R. 24 and the Cheatham County line.

As you may know, many of Tennessee's laws and policies originate from Federal Laws. The Transportation Equity act for the 21st Century (TEA-21) was adopted in 1994 as part of the National Bicycling and Walking Study. The US Department of Transportation has and continues to encourage state and local governments to adopt it policy of integrating bicycling and walking into the transportation infrastructure of each community.

In January of 2003 the Tennessee Department of Transportation adopted elements of the US DOT policy statement by adopting our own Bicycle and Pedestrian Policy through TCA 4-3-2303. The purpose of this policy, and I quote this directly from the Tennesee Long-Range Transportation Plan; Bicycle and Pedestrian Element published December 2005 http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/plango/pdfs/plan/BicyclePed.pdf

" Purpose: It is the intent of the Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) to promote and facilitate the increased use of non-motorized modes of transportation. This includes developing facilities for the use of pedestrians and bicyclists and promoting public education and safety programs for using such facilities. It is also the intent of TDOT to outline a policy accommodating bicycle and pedestrian travel in the development and implementation of TDOT transportation programs."

You can read the rest of the policy at the link I provided above.

Have said all of this, I believe that the bill you have before you, goes against existing State laws, policies and procedures and should be withdrawn from consideration.

Perhaps a better use of the $200/recurring increased state expenditure and the $400/One-Time/Highway Fund Increase Local Revenue would be applied to educating motorist, placing share the road signs, and working to have River Road repaved with safe shoulders added for bicyclists and pedestrians.

Thank you for your time and for considering my point of view.

Respectfully,
Sarah Lovett
Murfreesboro Bicycle Club
Advocacy Chair

Re: Sample Letter -

"Perhaps a better use of the $200/recurring increased state expenditure and the $400/One-Time/Highway Fund Increase Local Revenue"

How much money??

I did my part with emails.

I sent an email as well.