General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Dog Alert!!!!!

I happen to have copies of our State wide leash law.However, dog/cat owners seem to think the laws dont apply to them.MOAB sells pepper spray that will slow a dog down while you escape.YES,packin' is legal!

Re: Dog Alert!!!!!

Bottom line is that there is a state-wide leash law in Tennessee. We have the law behind us (even though it is poorly enforced). Can you let us know when/if you send a letter to them?

Dogs on the road are fair game for those of us 'packin'.

Beware my little furry friend.

Re: Re: Re: Dog Alert!!!!!

Sounds as though it maybe best for the leash-law to catch up with those dogs before some of the "packin" riders do!!!!!

Is "packin" legal while on a bike? Just wondering. Pretty sure the dog is less dangerous.

Was one of the dogs named "Eddie"?

If you have a carry permit, packing is legal.

guys, you can't be "packin"... it'll slow you down

A dog biting you or running in front of you and you wrecking will slow you down!Until all pet owners comply with the laws,I will accept the 2lb. penalty that my "peice" costs me.MOAB sells pepper spray that will slow a dog down while you escape.A gun is far less dangerous than a mean dog.

Just squirt them with your water bottle in the face. Stops then in their tracks every time. BTW, I am a dog lover if you can't tell.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dog Alert!!!!!

In my opinion it looks really bad upon the club to allow handguns to be carried on club rides. There were many club rides last year where some members were riding with handguns talking about shooting dogs and laughing. One ride there were actually shots fired while riding. I could just see a serious law suit for the club and the member who accidentally shoots at a dog and hits another cyclist. I know there is an issue with dogs but as the previous poster stated a quick squirt to the face of the dog has never failed for me. I hate to use the word "redneck" etc.. but this is what comes to mind when I see a cyclist "packing heat".. If you fear for your safety that bad how about "packing" pepper spray? This is my opinion and this should be addressed by the officers!

Thanks and have a great day!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dog Alert!!!!!

What an interesting thread. From dog warning, to 'is its name Eddie?', to 'packing', to antipackers, and now 'rednecks'. If being a licensed 'packer' makes you a redneck, then count me proud to be a redneck (with apology to my many redneck friends). I've never understood why some people are afraid of guns, but I accept it as true. That said, I've shot (with a ratshot load, mind you) my share of deserving fidos, always with the appreciation of fellow riders who perceived the canine menace to be far worse than any gun fears. Water bottle squirts have limitations, my whistle usually but not always does the job, pepper spray just blows back on everybody else; but the ole bang bang never fails to convince bowser that an immediate u-turn is in order (and its fun). So just chill, us packers are really a biker's best friend, not bestiarius caninus who just want to bite our ever so tan and well-toned ankles. Sorry to be so unPC.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dog Alert!!!!!

Last year I discharged my mustard shot loaded .22 18 occasions due to dogs. Most of the time the guns report discourages further aggressive behavior, but on two occasions a shot to the dog was necessary. The injury to those dogs was far less than to the one I hit squarely in the ribs with my bike at 20mph. That one snook up on me. Even then, I stayed on the pavement longer than he did. I too appreciate the fine attributes of dogs and generally wish them no harm, but when terrain, fatigue, multiple dogs, aggressive or unpredictable behavior threatens me or a fellow cyclist seeks my assistance then out comes the pink handle.

I have trained to fire while mounted albeit on horseback back when I rode with living historians (redneck reenactors)in Ward's Tennessee Cav. (CSA). The range and shot patern of a blank loaded black powdered pistol and my rat shot load are similiar. Both will burst a balloon at 15 feet and that is about the extent of their destructive power. I have found it much easier to hit the dogs on a bike than it is to hit the baloons at a gallup; however, I must brag that I never did miss a Yankee.

Yes, there are risks with this dog strategy. I could anger a dog owner, shoot myself, put a dogs eye out, or have a flash back and shoot a Yankee, but for me the unlikely hypotheticals are outweighted by the daily risks of dog encounters. This conclusion will not be the same as others will reach. I hope your plan works for you as mine has for me. I wish you all well on Pleasant Ridge.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dog Alert!!!!!

I have on many occaision asked for help from Mike while riding the back roads of C.C., (Pleasant Ridge, Pea Ridge}. Been thankful he was there with his Barbie handled pea shooter. Now that I have one of my own, I guard the rear flank, cause thats usually where I am. I haven't shot anything from horseback, but I did shoot a ground hog at 400 yds once from a car window.

Thanks Mike! I'll always have your back as a fellow comrade-in-arms against them sneaky canines, general varmints and northern aggressin' yankees.
Yours repectfully, Adventure Ride, 2nd (Biffle's) Tennessee Cavalry Battalion (CSA)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dog Alert!!!!!

We must hang together Adventure Ride, or we will surely hang separately.

We have all been chased by dogs. Sometimes the dogs are friendly and sometimes not. There are also times when the difference is not readily apparent. I have had squirrels slam into my wheel and I have ridden through more road kill than I care to think about. I have just accepted that these things come with the ride and that a chasing dog just gives me the opportunity to sprint. By the way, I do not have to be faster than the dog, I just have to be faster than someone I'm riding with.

I have a permit, but choose not to carry a gun on the bike. I thought I had learned to shoot when I was young until the Army taught me how to shoot their way. At no point in all my years of using firearms have I been trained to shoot from a moving bicycle. Without having had said training, I am concerned that I may accidently shoot a fellow rider or myself while intending to hit Fido. I prefer not to take that risk. I may have no place to criticize those who have put in the extensive hours of bicycle borne firearms training, but for those of you who have not put in the time, please keep it in the holster.

I'm really sensitive to personal freedoms and I understand the fear of dogs. (I've had my share of unhappy encounters.) This has been a very interesting thread for me to follow. I feel compelled to speak up and say that guns make me nervous. I wouldn't want to limit someone that has passed the legal requirements to carry a gun on a ride. And I wouldn't want to make them feel wrong for doing it either. But I'd sure feel safer if they didn't.

So, I'm going to be bringing over the dog bones,probably on Friday evening. Any suggestions on how to phrase "please keep your dogs restrained so they do not cause a serious wreck to me, other bikers, cars, kids or the dogs themselves? I'm not coordinated enough to do the water bottle squirt, especially if I am trying to pedal like heck..

I also want to print off the link, etc that was posted eirlier on what the law covers, but how do I present it so that it doesn't come across as "hey jerk, do it or else"?

I got a solution. Ride fast enough so ol' yeller can't catch up. It'll be a good sprint work. I'll give Old Lance a run for his money if a dog is behind me. Be safe out there.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dog Alert!!!!!

I was attacked by German Shepperds (while riding my first bike) at the age of 7.If their chains had been 2 or 3 feet longer I would have been mauled or worse, instead of biten SEVERAL times.I don't trust the water bottle method, besides I need the fluids!I choose to stick with what I know works. Rat shot, and the "bang" is enough to scare "Fido" away.I always try Halt pepper spray first.So count me in the Proud "Redneck Riders Group".

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dog Alert!!!!!

jim you are an idiot carrying a firearm does not make one a redneck. We have a god given right to keep and bear arms. Read the U. S. Constitution 2nd amendment.
Individual rights and freedoms as guaranteed by the constitution are not to be infringed.

Might google velo dog
See http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224917

Ray,

God given rights and constitutional rights are not the same. You are correct in pointing out that the second amendment to the U.S. Constitution guarantees the right to bear arms. However, that was the work of the Founding Fathers, not the Creator Of The Universe. Please don't confuse the two.

Also note that the right to bear arms is delineated in the Second Amendment, not in the Constitution as originally adopted. Even without actually studying constitutional history it is obvious from this fact that even the Founders couldn't agree on this "God given?" right, and could just as easily have omitted it.

No one has suggested your right to bear arms (as provided for by the U.S. Constitution) be abridged. What has been suggested is that individuals should realize that with rights come responsibilities and that, just perhaps, the responsible choice might be to not bring the arms on a bicycle ride.

Hate to be the history snob on this one, but a constitutional amendment is technically a part of the constitution -- and the bill of rights was written by the founding fathers 10 years (1789) after the ratification of the constitution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Bill_of_Rights

Yes, an amendment is a part of the Constitution, just not part of the original Constitution. My point was that even the founders did not consider this particular right to be so obviously 'god given' and well could have omitted it .. which they did in the "first edition" - or in gen-x terms, "Constitution 1.0"

Honestly, there is no good that can come from carrying while riding.

And it gives bikers an even worse image...

So, if it's 'no good' to carry while riding (when you know dog assaults are likely), when would you carry? I'm pretty sure I know what your answer would be. Really not worried about image and what others think, just trying to be safe and protect me and mine.

Guns have no place on a club group ride period. Not only is it disrespectful to other members that feel uncomfortable there are many opportunities for some one to get hurt. Feel free to carry it on your solo rides or when riding with others that are cool with it.

Guns like everything else have their place but shooting from a moving bicycle takes skill that not many have. Heck I have problems hitting a target with a water bottle much less a firearm.

Jim, get a grip. The world doesn't operate around your liberal 'feelings'.

Now that I have commented on this thread I will probably be eaten by a dog on my next ride.

MOST motorist detest us anyway,so I dont give a RATS-SHOT what people think,I am not riding for them or some "image".I will always,ALWAYS defend my right to protect me and mine!I will ride anywhere with Mike,Travis and Adventure Ride and feel the safer for it.It is a shame we focus on what we disagree on instead of our passion for cycling!

Not if I am around!!!

Not if I am around!!

my daddy sez i rulez the roadz, now hez gittin me a kevlar vestz.

sneaky woof woof

Yeah, when B.O. sends me my stimulus check I'm gonna git me some armor peircing rounds!

I wish I could get you all this excited about advocacy and working together to get better bike lanes and bike routes.

I could not agree more!

GREAT post Sarah!!!! I'd also like to remind some of you passionate cyclists.....will still need volunteers for our Two County Metric.

Feel free to call me 615-419-1323.

Food for thought. I have a cousin that was once arrested for firing at decoy deer, that TWRA set out, from the roadway. You never really know who is watching. Be safe and ride on.

Shooting at anything from a car or roadway IS illegal! Protecting oneself with a permit and a gun IS NOT!

Again, be safe and ride on.