General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New to Cycling

Amy,
You need to get a good (bike store quality) bike. If you are on a budget (and who isn't?) you might try looking for a used one. Sometimes MOAB (the bike store Smyrna Dan recommended) has these. 2nd thing - make sure it's a good fit for you.

Then come out and ride with the club. You'll learn everything you need to know by riding with experienced riders. We have new riders every year, so don't feel embarrassed you need help. We've all been there!

Thank you so much for the advice! I went by the bike store today, and got some great advice, but boy are bikes expensive... I'm wondering if anyone has or knows of a used bike I could purchase or of a good place to buy used bikes? The bike store guy said I would be about a 48 or 50 bike size (not totally sure what that means, but you all problably do, haha) and that I'd be best in a road bike.

Let me know - I appreciate all the friendly help!!!

Thanks,
Amy

A friend of mine has a bright yellow Colnago 50 inches, campy gears, cat eye, look pedals, a women’s seat and a colnago matching seat. It never has been wrecked it has very low miles on it, it is about 6 to 7 years old. She's asking about $1000.00.

Call Mariann at 615 585-6852 if you are interested.
Email: silovett@comcast.net

This is about a $4000 bike...great price. check it out.

The hardest part of riding is knowing where to get started. Buying a $700-$7,000 bike that you're not sure you'll enjoy is a daunting proposition for the uninitiated.

Some bike shops will let you do an extended test ride of a bike. I'd suggest finding a loaner of some sort, get it adjusted to fit, then come out for a ride with the club. You'll find many riders that are willing to give you advice on what to look for. The only problem is that you're likely to get 10 different opinions from 10 different riders, but you can listen and learn as you go. Buying a gently used bike as Sarah suggested is a great way to get started, especially bikes that come with the "extras" that you'd eventually want anyway (clipless pedals, computer, etc.)

Let us know when you're coming out, and someone can meet you early to get you set up, let you know what to expect, and then ride with you on your first club ride.

WOW! Thanks for all the great advice! I've found a bike store with a new 2008 trek 1.2 for a little over $400 and a new 2008 trek 1.5 for a little over $600...Any suggestions? They both sound like good deals to me, but I don't know too much. Any advice?

Thanks!!!
Amy

Re: Re: New to Cycling

Amy,
A Trek 1.2 is a good "beginner" bike. So come on out and join us.

Amy,

I purchased a 2008 Trek 1.2 in May and then joined the club soon after. I know that several others are riding the Trek 1.2. I have been very pleased with my bike.

Hi Amy!

I became a cyclist in '85 for the same reason: running injury. And you won't find a finer bunch of folks to learn from and ride with than the MBC.

Welcome!