General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cold weather

As cold weather is upon us, what kind of clothing do you wear? Just wondering is there a sure way to stay warm or do you just bite it and go on? What do you wear to cover your feet, do you wear the slip on that just covers the toe of the shoe or do you wear the bootie that covers the whole shoe? Any info would be a great help- thanks

Re: Cold weather

COLD?!! Cold is when the water bottles start freezing. BTDT

First thing I do is go to the trails. Lower speeds-less air sucking the heat out. But whether on trail or road-here's my take: Cover knees under 55-60f, fingered gloves, shoe covers and thicker socks (pull insoles from shoes), layers up top with sleeves or arm warmers.

Wool is unbeatable. Silk is good for underlayers. Synthetics are popular and cheap, but have yet to replicate the full advantages of wool and are usually made from petrol.

Coolish weather really doesn't take much. If you're not feeling a bit cool at the start--you're overdressed and will usually wind up way too hot mid-ride.

Knickers are quite popular. Also lots of folks use various concoctions (embrocation) on the knees. Knees don't really feel cold-but need to be taken care of according to those older and wiser than me, so I do.

In a real pinch, just slap on a jacket, some big gloves, wool socks, and use duct tape to cover the openings in your shoes. And absolutely run something under your helmet.

Cooler wx is a good time to run a larger bag(s) on the bike so you can store extra clothing.

Just like most things, everybody is different and some are more slavish to fa$hion. Heck I was wearing thermal underwear outside my riding gear on the trails last year and will pull sweats over the top of that for a real--homeless-on-the-bike style.

For rides 50-60degrees:

Arm warmers
regular fingerless gloves/light full finger
Toe covers
Skullcap
Baselayer or very light sleeveless vest.

For rides 40-50 degrees:

Full jacket (removeable sleeves a good idea)
Balaclava or skull cap
Light full finger gloves
Full length tights or knee warmers/or knicker bib shorts with high cut (smartwool) socks.
Toe covers still work pretty good at this temp too.

For rides 35-45 degrees:

You're crazy

Windproof tights
Amfib shoe covers
Windproof helmet cover
Heavier full finger gloves
A few of those little pocket warmer things you can put in your shoes...try REI.

Thanks for your replys, that helps. I hope some more people add to this so i know what to buy and not waste my money. My feet-hands and ears are what i really need to work on keeping them warm, if i can keep those parts warm i think i can ride in the cooler weather

Okay, on a similar note... when it does get cold enough to stop riding how does one maintain their vigor?

Is there a certain set of workouts that tend to work the best or just a lot of spinning and leg pressing?

I did (and still do) a lot of core weight training in the "off-season". Squats, dead lifts, and etc. Ramping the weight with about 10 - 15 reps for 3 or 4 sets. I found that when my core was stronger I was stronger all around, and my riding this year has been a lot stronger