General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bicycle Tour of Stones River National Battlefield

Stones River National Battlefield will present a ranger guided bicycle tour of Stones River National Battlefield on Saturday September 13, 2008 at 9 AM. This program will take visitors through the battlefield using the tour road and the Stones River Greenway.

At several points during the ride, the ranger will stop to discuss the major military actions that affected the outcome of the Battle of Stones River. Some of the stories that will be covered are the bloody fighting in Slaughter Pen, the desperate stand of the Union army along the Nashville Pike and the terrible climax to the battle that bloodied the banks of the Stones River.

Participants will meet at the visitor center at 8:45 AM with their bikes. Children, ages 16 and under must wear safety helmets, and all other participants are encouraged to wear them as well. The tour will begin at 9 AM. The ride will cover approximately seven miles and last two hours. In case of rain, this program will be postponed to Sunday September 14, 2008.

This program is a part of a series of interpretive programs offered at the battlefield during the year. Stones River National Battlefield is located on the Old Nashville Highway, northwest of Murfreesboro. Additional information is available at the visitor center, by calling (615) 893-9501 or at the park website (http://www.nps.gov/stri).

Re: Bicycle Tour of Stones River National Battlefield

Jim, this is a great idea. Please do it again. I have a conflict on the chosen date. A second tour will give me an opportunity to to rig up up a set of shafts to the bicycle so I can tow a howitzer behind it during the ride. I enjoyed the Marine band on Labor Day.

Re: Re: Bicycle Tour of Stones River National Battlefield

Mike,

I'm not sure that howizter towing bicycles were around back then, so you might lose some points for historical accuracy....

Re: Bicycle Tour of Stones River National Battlefield

you scare me Mike Corley...

Re: Re: Bicycle Tour of Stones River National Battlefield

Corely.....you're truly one-of-a-kind man.

Re: Re: Re: Bicycle Tour of Stones River National Battlefield

and thats why we like him

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bicycle Tour of Stones River National Battlefield

Cannons,bikes and history, sounds like my kind of ride!