General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cycling Death

http://www.murfreesboropost.com/news.php?viewStory=12405

Re: Re: Cycling Death

I have BEGGED for traffic law enforcement in Leanna for years because I live/ride this area alot.R.C.S.D. says they are too busy to worry about speeding.This area is dangerous at "rush hour".I hope Jim Benson gets justice.

chris check your email - if you do not have an email from me - email me silovett@comcast.net. I need to share something with you.

I am just reading the posting of the wreck on the Harpeth Bike Club listserv and am so sorry to hear about the death of Jim Benson. I did not know him personally, but extend my sincerest sympathies to his family and to all our fellow cyclists in Rutherford County.

Re: Re: Re: Cycling Death

Dear Slovetts,Let me know what we are doing. I appreciate all the Efforts of all who want to make things safer for All who use the roads,Cyclist and car drivers.We all must share the road!I will help/contribute in any way I can.We all must learn to co-exist on the roads.I love my bikes too much to quit. We must learn to respect each other and have mutual respect. PLEASE BE CAREFUL,It is crazy out there!

I did get it. Thank you! We need to do something. Let me know. My number is 890-6632 or cell 594-5701.

Re: Re: Re: Cycling Death

I also live and train in this area. That road and area can be crazy at the wrong time of the day. BTY, is there any word on whether the driver will be charged?

I believe one story I read said the matter would be discussed with the District Attorney's Office. That is not an unusual approach in a case like this. Sometimes the D.A. needs to review the matter to determine the appropriate charge. Although I am a defense attorney, I can say we have a level-headed experienced D.A. and I feel certain he will do the right thing.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cycling Death

What is going on out there on the streets of this town?!!! A rider gets hit on a club ride on Halls Hill Pike and now this recent tragedy!!!

As some of you know, I commute to work by bike most every day but in light of recent events and almost daily unsolicited altercations on my commute, I’m seriously thinking of throwing in the towel and letting the motorists of this town have their precious streets to themselves. I seriously think they would run me down and think nothing of it. I’ve had several instances where a motorist will swerve and act like they are going to run over me on purpose.

It has got to the point that I’m scared to “get on my bike and ride”. Here lately every time I sense a car approaching me from behind I start thinking “well…is this it?”. It is becoming too stressful to ride my bike.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cycling Death

I know what you mean Earl. At times when cars/trucks pass me on the road, they are so close I feel the wind from their sideview mirror....and let's not forget vehicles emerging from side streets.
But I'm not going to quit....I'm too passionate about my riding. If I am casualty, I'll be doing what I love to do!!!

I do not understand the law. But today's DNJ says that no citations or criminal charges have been filed. I believe that the facts are that a car was on the wrong side of the road and a bicyclist died because of this error. And no charges are filed? Is not driving on the wrong side of the road against the law? So why weren't charges issued at the scene?

K just told me the news. How very sad. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family. Be careful out there, folks.

Very sad. Jim's family is in our prayers.

Hana and Ethan have graduated to single road bikes. The whole family has been riding lately on the Greenway and around the Battlefield. It's the safest option, but Sabrina worries every time we ride the two miles on the streets to get there.

Please assume every car doesn't see you and ride defensive! Cycling has always been dangerous. A racer in the 80s was quoted as saying "If any of us really thought about the danger none of us would ride." Stay alert and be safe.