General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Hi neighbor

I've had a house in Cannon County for nearly 30 years and like you, travel Halls Hill frequently. The corner of Guy James and Halls Hill is not curvy or hilly. The car driver apparently decided that the rules of the road didn't apply. Vehicle in front no longer has right of way. Passing a vehicle (bicycle in this case) that is slowing to turn is now legal. Passing at speed in an intersection is now legal. It's only a bicycle so I'M ENTITLED to run it over if I FEEL LIKE IT. Sorry neighbor, those arguments aren't true. Gas is over $4 and diesel is approaching $5. Bike riding makes sense and is easier to deal with than a road full of dump trucks. I'm glad the Guy James property will be used for the MTSU farm instead of a land fill. Aren't you?

Re: Hi neighbor

I didn't that the rider was run over on perpose. I am glad u told me that. It's hard to beleave that people r like that. I guess if I am not guilty than everone else is. Beleave me we do try to share the road if we didn't they would be very few riders. We r out here too.

Re: rider hit on halls hill pike

let me ask you this Mr Doe... what if it was a tractor turning onto Guy James that this person struck, should the driver of the car not be held responsible for that accident? I agree that sometimes we cyclist can be a little bit of burdon on drivers, but we have all the rights to be on the road as a vehicle.

side note: with the current gas prices I have seen alot more cyclist on the road, most are just regular people trying to save money. I'm scared that this type of thing might become alot more common.

Dear Gutless No Name Joe Doe - Here's my number 890-2502 - call me anytime you ignorant jerk.

I drive a ginormous 18 wheeler truck. The roads are all mine because I am so big and so fast and because I say so. I would appreciate you little trucks and car people staying the hell off my roads. It's dangerous for you when I'm drivin'. Just so you know.

<<>>

So, you know enough to go find the local bike club web site, but you don't know enough to read your driver's manual? Road shoulders are NOT intended for bicycles or cars to drive on, they just offer both cars and bikes a safe alternative for pulling off the road if necessary...which both bikes and cars frequently have to do. THAT is their purpose. Bikes are supposed to actually ride on the roadway itself unless a bike 'lane' has been provided by the Dept of Transportation for those types of 'vehicles' to ride on. The question I would pose to you is, why are you in such a darned hurry when driving? If you obeyed the speed limit I doubt us bike riders would seem such an inconvenience.

Re: Re: rider hit on halls hill pike

It was my understanding that the driver was not speeding and that the bike rider did not give a turn signal when he decided to turn. If he wasn't hurt bad then you should be able to tell the car wasn't speeding.

Re: Re: Re: rider hit on halls hill pike

I think its a shame that something like this happened. Nobody is to really say who's to blame for this. These messages could go on forever about people arguing their differences. When it comes down to it I think that we should just THANK GOD that he's ok!!
Hopefully from now on BIKERS and CAR DRIVERS will be more careful on the roads. I'm sure this was an accident and that the driver feels very bad. I hope none of your comments will cross their way because I'm sure that they feel bad enough as it is.

Just keep both Rider and Driver in your prayers!!!

Read the message Re: Re: Rider hit on halls Hill. We are not in such of a hurry. I just haven't seen a bike rider maintain 40 mph or I guess I am dumb because I live out in the sticks but u want to ride out here. Maybe I am driving to fast or r u riding to slow I am not sure maybe u should tell me or better yet tell me when u r riding I will stay out of your way on this road. Is this the way u treat the people that drive on the road that u ride on. Know wonder riders have a bad rap out here.

I've been on this road as both a driver and a bike rider, and the only thing I've seen that people have no business doing on that road is driving their cars 20+mph over the speed limit, talking on their cell phones, or both.

Man! What a hot topic!

John, brother,(certainly we are kin since we have the same last name). What's all this about with you?

Life is too short to have so much anger. Bikes are good! Jump on one sometime and try it out. It might lower your blood pressure and stress level. Which might benefit other parts of your life (happier marriage, work situation, etc).

Just use another name when you come out to ride.

Re: rider hit on halls hill pike - enough

Laura Hart and I, with the assistance of Jeff Carlton, are working diligently to bring The City of Murfreesboro Bicycle Plan back to the attention of our City Council and Planning Commission. We've had three successful meetings so far with several more planned.

Our goal is to get the Bicycle Plan back on track and to ultimately be recognized as a League of American Bicylist Bicycle Friendly Community.

The negative comments in this post just drives home to me how much education is needed in our community. Both cyclists and motorist need to have a clear understanding about our laws, rules, and guidelines. Negative and attacking comments from either side of the issue do nothing but increase the risk that someone will get hurt,or worse yet, killed.

If you are interested in this issue and would like to get involved - please take the time to read the information in the links below. Then give me a call or send me an email. Together we can educate our community and move closer to getting our bike lanes as well as becoming a Bike Friendly Community.

(Just copy the links and paste into your web browser)
http://www.bikeleague.org/action/sharetheroad.php
http://www.bikesbelong.org/
http://www.bikeleague.org/programs/communities/images/action_plan.pdf
http://www.tdot.state.tn.us//plango/pdfs/plan/BicyclePed.pdf

Sarah Lovett 202-3072
Email: silovett@comcast.net

I am the rider who was hit. I want thank all those people who helped me after I was hit. Everyone was so nice and helpful. I am greatful to all of you. My injuries are serious, but not life threatning. I praise God for that. I will be back riding hopefully sooner than later. Thanks everyone for all of your concern. It means a lot to read it.

Jay

Mr. Jackson I am so glad to hear that u r on the mend. I am a res. out here as u problely have seen. Just so that u know that we are not all hicks out here. We do care about u and all the riders. I am sure that this was not intended and was purely an accident. One if not more that helped u was problely was one involved in the accident. We keep u in our prayers and the driver too. I am sure they are strugling too.

Mend well, stay positive, follow the lord

Hey Jay,

Glad you are on the mend. See you soon.

Still Steve

I to live on Halls Hill Pike and ride my bike everyday. I am neutral to this situation but wish that everyone on both sides of this situation would please realize. Bicycles have as much right to be on the road as a motor vehicle as far as I understand. The problem is that it seems that I witness just about EVERY car that passes in front of my residence doing over 40 MPH. For example.. Just last year I myself witnessed a loaded county dumptruck run off the road and flip end over end TWICE in front of my home (on Halls Hill Pike). Now was he doing 40? I think not. I work in Smyrna and ride to work from a friends home that is closer to Smyrna than my home. Just this last week (at night) on Murfreesboro Rd. I was forced onto the shoulder of the road by a car that was in the same lane as I was. As the car went by me I recognized it as a "MARKED" Smyrna policecar. I guess that what I'm trying to say is that EVERYONE including the law needs to wake up and slow down for bicycle riders and pedestrians as well. And as for riding my bike on Halls Hill Pike??? ONLY, if mine or my family's lives depended on it. As for the gentleman that was injured... I hope that you heal soon. And for the lady that hit him. I hope that you can remember this for the rest of your days and use this to make others aware of bicyclists.. God Bless both of you and the rest of us Bike Riders...

Re: Re: Re: rider hit on halls hill pike

If a ignorant/idiot/recklessneck hits me they should hope I am knocked out!

Stop. You are embarrassing us gun boy.

That IS quite enough.