General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Short Mountain

Mr. Adventure, I feel that I am a pretty fair climber, but that Short Mtn. climb put me off the bike. What do you think the slope is?

If you aren't doing it on the 12th, I would like to tag along.

dc

Re: Short Mountain

Gunter Hollow, now known as Bible Camp Road, is tar and chip to the Bible Camp entrance. After that point the County does not maintain the road. Above there the firetower has been abandoned, and the State no longer takes and interest in the road. Sally Parton is not suitable for road bikes. Be careful on weekends. The Bible Camp rotates campers on Sunday and the traffic is too much for enjoyable use. One of my sons is on staff there and I would not want to meet him or the others when they are released from a week on the mountain.

Mike and Adventure, thanks for the info.

Bob, we still have the 12th, 19th and 26th open.

Re: Re: Re: Short Mountain

correction, make that the 19th and 26th are still open

Re: Re: Re: Re: Short Mountain

What are the directions to Short Mountain from the north side of Mboro, say Thompson lane area? Also, how far out and back would that be?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Short Mountain

Hey Mike, gimme a holler. I blame/credit you for getting me into this mess. Hmmm what was that 20 years ago? I live out here in Cannon.

542-1957
wade_at_heartoftn.net

Does anyone know what the pavement is like on willmouth creek road between 53 and bill hill road? or sugar tree road and north short mountain road between 53 and big hill?

We rode Wilmuth Creek a couple of weeks ago. It was as good as it ever is. There are a couple of switchbacks so don't try to navigate downhill at 30 mph. Haven't been on Sugar Tree for a few years but it used to be maintained about the same as Wilmuth Creek.

Re: Re: Re: Short Mountain

Sugar Tree Knob is tar and chip and a good ride from 53 past the Sugar Tree Knob Church of Christ. Be sure to stop there and see the Cemetery and use the very nice outhouse. As the road goes east from there it becomes the N Sht. Mt. Road and is gravel not suitable for road bikes.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Short Mountain

Isn't there a route that dumps out onto Stones River Rd to Sht Mtn?

looks like mason hollow road. takes you between sugar tree and stones river. I have never been on that road though to know what the surface is like.

Mason Hollow will connect a rider to the River Road. The surface is tar and chip, and no worse than the roads leading to it.

Old folks will recall the wonderful rides od yesteryear to John Sanborn's home on Short Mtn. He's in MTSU Dept. of Social Work: 898-2685; jsanborn@mtsu.edu