General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Clipless pedals

Ethan, my nine year old son is learning to use clipless pedals. He's averaging about two falls per ride. It's really a matter of practice. Remember it's a 'quick' motion of the heel away from the bike to release the clip. It also helps to practice on grass!

Re: Re: Clipless pedals

Does anyone know why they are called "clipless" when your foot is actually clipped to the pedal. Just wondering . . .

Re: Re: Re: Clipless pedals

Probably the same reason a driveway is where you park and a Parkway is where you drive!!

Re: Re: Re: Clipless pedals

They are called "clipless" because they don't have toe clips with straps. Learning to ride with toe clips - now that was a trick!

Practice putting a foot down, and then cliping back in, at every stop sign. Practice doing this without looking down. Practice doing this while drinking from your bottle. Practice while . . . you get the idea.

2 falls per ride

2 falls per ride is for young bones. FWIW, Mine release near the top of the pedal stroke.

Re: 2 falls per ride

Don't let them scare you. I'm as clumsy as they come and I only fell once. Once was enough. And it only hurt my pride.

Re: Re: 2 falls per ride

The best advice I got was after I'd had my cleats about a year, and still fell over...like most, I'd been told heel out at the bottom of the circle. Ed? on the BRAT last year told me to try the opposite--heel IN and at the TOP. Works for me! I was hurting so much that day I wasn't very nice toi him! My belated apologies, Ed, or whoever you were!I've not had a clip related fall since!

Re: Re: Re: 2 falls per ride

Can't blame Ed. That be the un-censored Junkman.

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2 falls per ride

Ironic this topic came up...

I practiced clipping in and out between a door frame inside my house (same concept as between two cars). I found the motion easier than many people talked about and never fell once...that is, until today! I just forgot both feet were clipped in when I came to a stop Good thing there weren't any cars coming up behind me at the time

More advice--Clipless pedals

It sounds like you need more advice. If you have a yard that is rideable, get used to the pedals while riding in the grass. Go to a school yard if you don't have a suitable yard. Doesn't scuff you up if you fall. Just clip in and pedal in your lowest gear and practice stopping and starting. Relieves the fear a bit. I trained both of my progeny like that and they still have unscuffed knees.

Re: More advice--Clipless pedals

Wished I had gotten all this advice before I went out on Memorial day and wrecked and in the meantime broke the arm. Thought I had practiced enough, but I guess not.