General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Candle light vigil

Thanks, Janey, for letting the cycling community know about this event. While I agree that we wouldn't want to get into politics on this forum, I think it is very appropriate to inform our friends regarding community events about which we might not otherwise know.

I want to take this opportunity to thank you, Janey, for your spirit toward this club. When there have been controversies on this board in the past, you have found a way to offer the most reasonable, calm, and well thought out perspectives. I appreciate what you mean to this club.

Re: Re: Candle light vigil

Thanks Brian and Jen. Hey, it's a touchy subject! I know!

As the great orator, Rodney King, once said, "Can't we all just get along?"

I got an idea. How about a prayer and candle light vigil for the 3,000 killed in the attack on the twin towers on 9/11. The best defense is a good offense. I'd rather fight them on their soil than ours!! What a short memory you liberals have.
Travis

You can't have too many prayers, sounds good to me.

Well said Travis.

Re: Re: Re: Candle light vigil

I am this suprised at the club for putting this kind of political reterick on the web site. I thought this was a bicycle forum? If I had known I could spout off my political views I would have a long time ago. Since you opened the door here goes. How dare you disrespect the 911 families! Lets have some of them come and tell how it has affected their lives. We did not start the war they did. Now that the MBC web site is a forum for political views any one else like to have their say?

I would recommend to all that we are where we are right now because of how we all voted and what we do as citizens to support that vote. Some of you might say "we'll I voted for the other guy". That doesn't cut it. If you are a citizen of this country, you have the responsibility to take continued action to make this place what you want it to be. That doesn't mean just showing up at the polls once every 4 years and making your mark. Don't like the current system? Run for office, support somebody who is, donate time, money, etc. Write your local elected officials. Be part of the solution. Anything less is just an opinion, and we know what those are worth...

And as a Marine, speaking only for myself.. there are few people who can properly appreciate the strategic goals of 'any' war, past or present. What might make no sense today may be a brilliant decision down the road. There are highly capable and intelligent people working both sides of the fence. A valid argument can be made for each side, and they'd both be right. The economic impact, always a feature of war, goes right along with that. As for protests...Are you protesting for your wallet, your dead son/daughter, or just because you hold an opinion? See above.

Well said. I could not have put it better myself.

I just moved to Murfreesboro. I am a bicyclist. Someone turned me on to your web site. I thought I might hook up with you guys and ride. I am a little bit confused? Are you a bicycle club or a political site hiding behind a bicycle logo? Whatever it has turned me off. I don't think I will hook up with you guys after all. Can someone recommend another club?

John

MBC has dodged a bullet for a long time (that I have seen) in avoiding the occasional political discussion on its messageboard, and that's largely only due to the bulletin-board nature of the system used and the general lack of population. Now it has come, and hopefully gone. If you are truly that sensitive, you definitely don't want to join the Harpeth club! I'm convinced that most of its members have formerly held office..

Isn't it wonderful that we live in a free country where we can post opposing opinions on a website without fear of retribution from our government?

But what is even more humbling to me is that we all share a passion for cycling and ride 100's of miles together and discuss all sorts of topics important to us, freely and without fear. And at the end of the day, we can still treat each other with respect.

I am grateful for the diversity that each of you bring to our club. How boring it would be if we were all conservative republicans or liberal democrats, or conservative democrates, or liberal republicans!! Or if we all rode 18 mph or 13 mph, or if we all had lightspeeds or ....well, you get my point...

Now get on your bike and ride!!

I agree that we can discuss politics freely and how wonderful. Having said that I don't think the MBC web site is the place to do it. There are plenty of forums to do that. Lets stick to bicycling issues on the web site. No more candle lite vigils please.

Debbie

I guess most of you know my political leanings so having said that I must say the MBC forum is not the place to discuss this topic. This is a bicycle discussion site and as the former web editor and moderator of this board I would delete this whole thread for the above reasons! Where are our current moderators?

Steve

Re: Re: Re: Re: Candle light vigil

"This is a bicycle discussion site"?????
I haven't seen a discussion about bicycles on this site in the year that I've been on it. If there were a discussion as to which bike I should buy and where I should purchase it I fear it would get out of control pretty fast. Which is better, a Trek Madone or a Cervello R3,What material, ti, carbon, steel,aluminum? I'll bet there are some pretty strong opinions as to these subjects as well.
This isn't just a site for discussing bicycles. This is a place to post rides and to stay socially connected to folks that share a passion to ride. The different personalities and opinions bring a little spice to a normally boring message board. I wouldn't censor this thread, only a opressive dictator would do such a thing. There you have it , more inflamatory rhetoric to keep this thread alive.
Travis

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Candle light vigil

Wow! This line has been active since last I looked.

So sorry if I offended some. There's nothing but love in my heart for you guys.

Who knew Iron Janey was such a rabble-rouser! It's the soft spoken one's you have to watch out for .

The current moderator is in a formaldehyde tinged government issued FEMA trailer in front of his formally water filled property. Which is progressing against all odds and several government agencies.

I read the original post and never gave it a second thought on being offensive, and I'm a Republican. I did consider removing the post earlier yesterday; but honestly I enjoy the banter. If I were to remove all non-cycling related posts, I'd be deleting posts all the time! Plus, I couldn't rag anyone when LSU kicks some ass (notice I didn't say the Saints!). I have only removed one post,and well...it was because of Bob .

The policy I have on moderating any forum is: if the post is blatant advertising, it will be deleted. I will delete openly racist, sexist, hate mongering and generally asinine posts. And, I reserve the right to be the asinine judge!

All we need now is thread on religion!

e.

All yall ignerant azzes that disagree with me, are welcome to come to the Tue ride. All yall non-ignorant azzes that disagree with me are welcome also. All of you ladies and gentlemen that agree with me are specially invited. (1st 10 get maps.)

I've been watching this discussion since yesterday. I didn't want to comment until I felt I had something important to add. That moment is now and it is directed at Travis - You should definitely get the Cervelo R3! I haven't ridden the new Madone but I love my R3 and I love it even more since I put the Mavic SL Premiums on a couple of weeks ago. The only way I could love it more is if it suddenly started cooking and cleaning for me.

Now, for the political side of this post, my bike is a rolling U.N. It is a mixture of parts from Canada, the U.S., France, Germany, Italy and Japan. Unlike the U.N., the parts all get along and get things done. You might think of them as a coalition of the willing.

If anything ever happened to my bike I might hold a candlelight service or I may get another one just like it.

David,

Now we have a real problem. You see, I've already bought a 2008 Trek Madone, and I love it. I rode an R3, and think they are really look cool but it didn't feel as good to me as the Madone 5.5. I love my Madone, the ride quality is fantastic. It will be a while before I'm able to do this bike justice. I respect your input though. How did the new wheels affect the bike? How much lighter are they? I am interested in the affects the new wheels had. I've got Bontrager race lites. I need some wheels that will help me keep up with Corley, he's killing me.

More on Cycling and Politics:
http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2008/03/taking-stand-cycling-and-politics.html

Travis,

The Mavic wheels are a lot better than the Easton Vistas that came on the bike. The Easton wheels were tough and worked well on rough pavement, but I did not like them in wind and crosswinds. Like your Race Lites, the SL Premiums have bladed spokes and a lower profile than the Eastons. I have noticed a big difference in windy conditions and they are very stiff. I was able to get improvement in windy conditions without sacrificing the ability to ride on rough roads. The Mavics weigh 1480 grams which is about 300 grams less than my old wheels. I wasn't concerned about the weight; I just knew I wanted different wheels. I talked to the guys at MOAB about different wheels and they recommended these. Once again they were right.

Can I get a copy of Junkman's deleted post?
Or do I just need to show up as a self-proclaimed Ignoranz rider on Tuesday?